Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gumu
New Contributor

Upload speed greater than download speed

I noticed when I do a speed test my upload speed is always greater than my download. I'm new to FortiGate pls help me with a  solution. 

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

If you're load-balancing between two circuits and run a speed test with a server on the internet, likely it's testing only one side since the source&destination is a same set of IPs. But besides that I would run speed test by shutting down one ISP circuit to get a consistent measurable outcome. 

Anyway, I have to assume like one ISP circuit is 80Mbps down/20Mbps up, and you get 0.1K-2Mbps down/16Mbps up in the speed test. Then most likely a duplex-mismatch is happening on the path between ISP circuit and your machine running the test. 

There are many discussion in this forum about this subject. Search discussions with "duplex mismatch", and you can find the mechanism how it happens and how to find where the point(s) is(are). On the FGT side, to find how it's operating is "diag hardware deviceinfo nic <interface_name>". You always need to check on the other side as well.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

You need to provide more information to get any comments, like what's the circuit speed, is that larger than circuit speed, is download speed lower than it should be, how much greater, and so on.

gumu

toshiesumi wrote:

You need to provide more information to get any comments, like what's the circuit speed, is that larger than circuit speed, is download speed lower than it should be, how much greater, and so on.

We are using Two ISP's with a total combined bandwidth of 160Mbps. The download speed I get between 0.1kbps to a maximum of 2mbps while the upload speed is going up to 16mbps. Pls what might be the problem.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

If you're load-balancing between two circuits and run a speed test with a server on the internet, likely it's testing only one side since the source&destination is a same set of IPs. But besides that I would run speed test by shutting down one ISP circuit to get a consistent measurable outcome. 

Anyway, I have to assume like one ISP circuit is 80Mbps down/20Mbps up, and you get 0.1K-2Mbps down/16Mbps up in the speed test. Then most likely a duplex-mismatch is happening on the path between ISP circuit and your machine running the test. 

There are many discussion in this forum about this subject. Search discussions with "duplex mismatch", and you can find the mechanism how it happens and how to find where the point(s) is(are). On the FGT side, to find how it's operating is "diag hardware deviceinfo nic <interface_name>". You always need to check on the other side as well.

gumu

toshiesumi wrote:

Thanks for the info. I will check it and update you.

gumu

Attached is the port connected to my ISP. Pls analyze it and suggest the solution.

Regards

rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Also, try a speed test from two different units. The NIC settings may be off on one of them. Buffers, packet max sizes, etc.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Dave_Hall

Shame, the output did not include the speed/duplex info.  However, what stands out is the RX errors:

From an old post, it seems to be hardware accelerator related, so you could try disabling "checksum offloading".  Anyone else care to chime in on this.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
gumu
New Contributor

Sorry i'm attaching the output for the speed and duplex.

and how do i disable checksum offloading ?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors