Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sims
New Contributor III

software switch

"A software switch, or soft switch, is a virtual switch that is implemented at the software, or firmware level, rather than the hardware level. A software switch can be used to simplify communication between devices connected to different FortiGate interfaces. For example, using a software switch, you can place the FortiGate interface connected to an internal network on the same subnet as your wireless interfaces. Then devices on the internal network can communicate with devices on the wireless network without any additional configuration such as additional security policies, on the FortiGate unit."

Hi, 

what are the use cases of software switch , 

"you can place the FortiGate interface connected to an internal network on the same subnet as your wireless interfaces" 

When do we need to the above ,I mean In real scenario . 

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
brycemd
Contributor II

It is used to bridge two or more interfaces. If you've ever thought, "I wish I could plug into this port and be on the same network as x" then a software switch is your solution.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors