Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mark14
New Contributor

Poor bandwidth to S2S Ipsec Azure

Hello,

I get really strange problem with my Azure tunnel on Fortigate 60E (FortiOS 5.6.8). I have configured tunnel according to this article:

https://cookbook.fortinet...pn-microsoft-azure-54/

I have set up tcp-mss sender and receiver for 1350. Tunnel is stable but performance from LAN Fortigate is very poor.

I performed iperf3 test and result is 3-5Mbit/s. Our ISP provide us 100/100Mbit/s.

The weirdest thing is when I beeing connected to fortigate in LAN, and set UP SSL-VPN connection (FortiClient SSL-VPN on the same Fortigate) so technically traffic go through ssl-vpn tunnel but all communication is closed to these Fortigate I get 30-35Mbit/s performance result. What I tried:

1) Set up new Azure tunnel - the same result

2) Delete tcp-mss sender/receiver function from IPv4 policies to Azure - same result

Someone got these problem? It looks like there is something wrong in LAN interface. MTU? 

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

For a bandwith issue over IPsec vpn, there are many things you need to eliminate one-by-on. 

As a start I would suggest one thing to test: adjust mtu size on the physical interface on the FGT that  this tunnel is going out of. I don't know if it's possible on Azure side, but try the same on that side as well. The tcp-mss adjustment works only TCP traffic. You might be doing only TCP test with iPerf so each packet should be much shorter than the minimum mtu on the path. But since you said SSL VPN (TCP) was performing much better, I'm suspecting it might be related to UDP/ESP (IPsec) traffic over the internet. Or at least you can eliminate that factor.

mark14

What do you mean adjust mtu on interface that tunel is going out of? wan interface (that ipsec tunnel is connected with azure) or for example internal2 physical interface that I was performed test to virtual machine behind azure? Can you suggest changes for testing? What exactly mtu should I set on interface? As I said while using the same network on FG but connecting to azure machine through ssl vpn tunnel (forticlient split tunneling to azure subnet) performance is 10x better.
Toshi_Esumi

The outgoing wan interface mtu to let the FGT to fragment in case the packet sides are bigger than the mtu. The opposite direction is dectated by Azure side mtu setting. LAN side mtu setting is for PMTUD by applications on Azure side, which works over the top to VPN layer.

For test purpose I wouldn't care if the mtu is optimum or not, so let's say 1400, which would be short enough for any intermediate carrier to pass traffic without fragmentation. I think the commands would look like below:

config sys int

edit PHY_INTERFACE

set mtu-override ena

set mtu 1400

next

end

I have no knowledge on Azure so you have to figure out how to do the same yourself.

Toshi_Esumi

BTW, IPsec tunnel mtu is driven by the interface mtu automatically, or your don't have any control. That's why you need to change mtu on the interface.

Below is our exacmple of an interface mtu and the tunnel mtu driven by it. Please ignore it's oddly going out of "internal1" interface but in fact it's going out of the interface:

xxx-fg1 # fnsysctl ifconfig internal1 internal1       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:09:0F:09:FE:03         UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC ALLMULTI MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1         RX packets:31742093 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0         TX packets:25140134 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000         RX bytes:23363609075 (21.8 GB)  TX bytes:6072201816 (5.7 GB) sea5601-fg1 # fnsysctl ifconfig OfficeBKP-VPN      <--- VPN interface name OfficeBKP-VPN    Link encap:Unknown         inet addr:10.242.128.130  Mask:255.255.255.255         UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1422  Metric:1         RX packets:77057 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0         TX packets:155683 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0         RX bytes:11304894 (10.8 MB)  TX bytes:10212501 (9.7 MB) So the key is to let FGT fragment packets BEFORE encryption.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors