Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JardaTesar
New Contributor

FortiOS 6.2 - removal of device groups - workaround/replacement?

Hello,

I have unfortunatelly upgraded our FortiGate to v6.2 in a hurry without checking release notes just to find out Device Groups have been removed.

Is there any workaround except for creating custom Addresses for MAC range manually?

It was really nice that I could just open Device Inventory, find the device where I want to block access to the internet (or allow full access), assign it to a group and everything was set.

Now I have to go to Device inventory, copy the MAC address, create a new MAC range address, paste the MAC, add the device name, and assign it to an Address Group. 

Is there any faster way to do this?

Also is there a way to convert all my current Custom Devices to MAC address ranges so at least I don't have to rewrite them manually?

This was really a bad move from Fortinet.

2 REPLIES 2
kaloforti
New Contributor

I agree that this was a bit unexpected move but if you look deeper you may notice that they actually follow the zero-trust course, thus you have to identify every single element on the network and no unknown devices are allowed to lurk around :) You can see a lot of authentication improvement and developments in 6.2 so they definitely pushing the connected-device (IoT) and (probably) user identification to full extent. 

I would wait for 6.2.1 or 6.2.001 just for now :)

JardaTesar

Thanks for the reply. Yea I can see what they are trying to do, but for our scenario it is not a good approach. We have a lot of guests, visitors, maintenance guys, etc, who need to connect to the internet and I have set up 3 policies for internet access: completely blocked (except for software/av updates), default limited (allowing only business sites and social networks with 30 min quota) and admin access with everything allowed.

I have marked few devices in the construction area which are used by workers to have no internet access, office PCs and phones are using limited access and then few devices with admin access.Also any quest (non-marked devices) get limited access aswell.

Since it is a mix of LAN/Wifi access in different buildings it was easiest to set up this way. I know I could set this all up using VLANs and some kind of ACL on Wifi APs (most of them are not Forti APs), but it all adds to the complexity and is not that flexible, for example when moved from one place to another, or roaming between two different buildings and Wifi networks. I know this is less secure because anyone could theoretically change their MAC address to the one where net is allowed, but in our environment it is not likely to happen and I am ok with the risk.

Anyway I guess I will program a tool to convert currently set custom devices to MAC addresses and add them to the policy this way, and hopefully in the future they will change their mind.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors