Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
seadave
Contributor III

Something has to be done to make it easier to migrate configs!

I'm replacing two FG500Ds with FG501Es.  Of course the interface names have changed between models.  All the cutting and pasting is just nonsense.  Fortunately I'm able to get one of my FG500Ds on 6.0.3 and use that config as a template for the FG501Es so I'm not crossing firmware versions which is impossible.

Please Fortinet, build a converter tool for you customers.  As long as you are moving from FG to FG this should be free.  IT SHOULD ALSO DETAIL ERRORS WHEN FOUND IN THE CONFIG, PLEASE.  At the very least, having an app that would review the config and provide output/flag/warning to let you know what wouldn't work on the new system would be so helpful. 

It is frustrating trying to use the Advanced/Script interface when it only shows Fail or Succeed but NO OTHER INFO?  How do I know what failed?  "diag debug config-error-log read" shows nothing.  That being said, it is really interesting when you dig into the config.  You find some interesting things, see attached photo.

Why in the heck are you loading adult web content rules into the Wan Optimizer???  This came on our 501E from the factory!!!

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

To debug scripts while loading:

- open an SSH terminal

- di de en

- di de cli 7

Then load the script. The lines will be printed in the terminal window. If prepended with "0:" then they are error-free.

To reset:

di de cli 3

di de di

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

To debug scripts while loading:

- open an SSH terminal

- di de en

- di de cli 7

Then load the script. The lines will be printed in the terminal window. If prepended with "0:" then they are error-free.

To reset:

di de cli 3

di de di

Ede

seadave

OMG, thanks so much for this.  It would be so nice if Fortinet could just show you the results from the GUI or allow you to download output but this is great.

Thanks!

ede_pfau

Glad I could share this detail. There are (always) some ideas which could improve FortiOS but given which turmoil is just happening now with the release of v6.2.0 and it's 300 new features, I'll rather keep them to myself...

Ede

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors