Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RafaelHernandez
New Contributor

FortiAP 221E Default Settings

Greetings.

This is my first time posting here. My company has been using FortiAP 21C since I've started with the company.

We've bought 2 FortiAP 221E and wanted them to start using them.

The problem is that when I want to enter the default settings, I believe is 192.168.1.2, this doesn't seem to work with any of them.

I've tried X.X.1.99 and X.X.2.1, other default settings but with no success. I can do fine with other AP (25D and 221C), but with these ones, they don't want to cooperate.

I have also pressed the botton with a clip to restart it, and nothing. The LEDs that are turning on are the ethernet port: amber blinking, and the power (green).

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

2 Solutions
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I happened to have a FAP221E and it's not deployed yet. So I tested it and I see what you're seeing. I'm not sure if it's because of this model or firmware in common (5.6.2 build0309 on this one). When I sniffed it it keeps sending DHCP Discovery and ignoreing ARP request "Who has 192.168.1.2? Tell 192.168.1.1". I checked the config after changing the environment to have DHCP server in place. And the default config looks exactly the same with other type like FAP221C. Default IP 192.168.1.2/24 GW 192.168.1.1.

I guess you need to do the same what I did. Putting it under DHCP server environment then check what IP was served by the server to get in.

View solution in original post

Toshi_Esumi

I doesn't matter it's FGT or something else. You said you wanted to change the config on the 221E without saying it's connected to a FGT. I assumed you were using FortiCloud.

If your FGT is configured to provide an IP via DHCP server, the 221E should get one and you should be able to access it from the same subnet or routing/policy from your PC's interface to 221E's. Nothing special.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I happened to have a FAP221E and it's not deployed yet. So I tested it and I see what you're seeing. I'm not sure if it's because of this model or firmware in common (5.6.2 build0309 on this one). When I sniffed it it keeps sending DHCP Discovery and ignoreing ARP request "Who has 192.168.1.2? Tell 192.168.1.1". I checked the config after changing the environment to have DHCP server in place. And the default config looks exactly the same with other type like FAP221C. Default IP 192.168.1.2/24 GW 192.168.1.1.

I guess you need to do the same what I did. Putting it under DHCP server environment then check what IP was served by the server to get in.

RafaelHernandez

Doing this in my FortiGate? Changing my 100E configuration to DCHP Server?

Because I have it like that.

DCHP Server-Address Range:

Starting from X.X.X.21 to X.X.X.149

Toshi_Esumi

I doesn't matter it's FGT or something else. You said you wanted to change the config on the 221E without saying it's connected to a FGT. I assumed you were using FortiCloud.

If your FGT is configured to provide an IP via DHCP server, the 221E should get one and you should be able to access it from the same subnet or routing/policy from your PC's interface to 221E's. Nothing special.

RafaelHernandez

Thank you very much. I put it in another network, and then scanned it with Advanced IP Scanner, and there it showed the AP. Then I just configure it to what IP I want and I now have it enabled and online :D

Thanks!

Toshi_Esumi

Looks like this was a known bug. The release notes for -w2 5.6.3 has this in "resolved issue" list:

BugID    Description

478822  Fixed an issue that prevented the default IP address 192.168.1.2 from taking effect.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors