Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
scerazy
New Contributor III

FTG 6.0.4 "Failed to save administrator: Permission denied."

Logged as admin (also tried as super-admin remote user)

I can not change existing remote admin (not the builtin one!) user name

Also can NOT add another administrator

That is definitely not right!

Seb

4 REPLIES 4
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Seb,

how about more info, or config snippets or reproduction scenario ?

It seems unclear to most of us what you are trying to do.

As if you are logged in through wildcard admin, then modifying that wildcard config might not be the best idea.

Also, you might use VDOMs and see admins from global scope while logged in VDOM scope you might not be allowed to modify global scope admin. There might be variables in your setup not obviously linked but affecting situation.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

scerazy
New Contributor III

More details? Well, there are none. Logged as admin (that actual default user), cannot change existing (another, remote user) administrator name. Cannot create another remote user administrator. That is all I experience.

Single VDOM

xsilver_FTNT

Are you able to do any other changes ?

Unit might be in conserve mode where it is not permitting any changes.

How about this ...

diag debug cli 8

diag debug enable

.. then reproduce in GUI and check CLI outputs as they might state more details for what was tried to be done and what was results and reasons for an error. Out of sheer curiosity I did tried to reproduce on my lab VM unit and was not able to reproduce. I used built in admin on single VDOM and did added another local admin without any issue.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

FriedBacon
New Contributor II

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone finding this post. Make sure the user your deleting is not logged in. You can't delete a logged in user (despite you being a super_admin)

You can further verify this by deleting the user in CLI. It will show an error:
Cannot delete admin while 'FGADMINS' is logged in!
command_cli_delete:6532 delete table entry FGADMINS unset oper error ret=-14
Command fail. Return code -14

So, disconnect that user first (which you can force) via "execute disconnect-admin-session" command. append "?" on the command to get their connection ID/index

Verify disconnection using the command "get system info admin status"

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors