Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
paulo_pinto
New Contributor

Fortimanager Backup Restoration

Hello, The situation is as follows. I have a Fortimanager appliance and a Fortimanager VM with an unlimited license. I'm currently trying to export the settings and policies from the appliance to the VM so I can remove some unwanted policies and then export them to another appliance. The problems is that the restore is constantly failing saying that "Restoration process failed due to invalid backup file". I tried to debug the process trough the console and all I get is an error 902 Any ideas? Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
gabyrossi
Contributor

Hello, it is not clear to me what you are restoring. Could you give more details? Thank you

Gabriel Rossi

paulo_pinto

We are currently segregating an infrastructure and some policies in the Fortigates belong to different sites. The idea is to retrieve a backup from the Fortimanager 200 currently in production, restore it in a Fortimanager VM-64 and trim all the policies that we don't need. When we try to restore from the .dat file I get that error.
gabyrossi

Ok, and what do you want to get from that backup? Is it not easier to configure the manager again and re-import the fgt config from zero into the ADOM?

chall_FTNT

The *.dat files are model-specific.  Backup & restore is intended for restoral of the configuration to an identical model of FortiManager.  You can, however, use "exec migrate" to load the *.dat from another model.  The only caveat is that System Settings are preserved when loading the *.dat using "exec migrate".

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors