Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Alan_Smithee
New Contributor

Packetloss with 1 IOT device

Hi I'm new to the forum and I hope someone can help me.

I have a IOT device that connects to a cloud server through the wireless-connection (2,4GHz). I can connect to the IOT with an IOS app however the connection is really slow and sometimes disconnects.

When I ping the IOT device from my client I have a low ping however when I use the IOS app to query the IOT device the ping gets really high or drops out. The FAP is within 10 feet of the IOT and there are no obstructions in between.

I used packet capture to monitor the interface and I see a lot of TCP retransmission. I connected an old netgear router with DD-WRT and created a wireless bridge to my network I placed this on the same place as my FAP. When I connect the IOT to the Netgear it works flawlessly so I guess the problem is in my FAP (settings?) I don't understand that this IOT device is the only device that has this problem.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?  
1 REPLY 1
Alan_Smithee
New Contributor

To answer my own question. 

I had to change the following configuration

config wireless-controller vap
edit "SSID"
set rates-11n-ss12 mcs0/1 mcs8/2
set rates-11n-ss34 mcs16/3 mcs24/4

All other Modulation types (QPSK, 16-QAM, 64-QAM) was giving me trouble. 

What I understand from this website:

https://www.gigabit-wireless.com/gigabit-wireless/comparison-8-qam-16-qam-32-qam-64-qam-128-qam-256-...

While higher order modulation rates are able to offer much faster data rates and higher levels of spectral efficiency for the radio communications system, this comes at a price. The higher order modulation schemes are considerably less resilient to noise and interference.

I don't have enough knowledge on this subject. I always though that the client-ap negotiated the right data rate but somehow the Miele IOT doesn't do a good job in it.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors