Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RuuJan
New Contributor II

VLAN and DHCP

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a FG 60E to replace a pfSense firewall on top of VMWare.

I have some experience with Fortigate and I was very pleased by the possibilities, but that was in a simpler environment.

The pfSense is currently connected to almost 20 VLAN's and serving as DHCP server in all these networks. Can I do the same with the FortiGate? And are there any pitfalls?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

According to this on-line doc:

http://help.fortinet.com/fgt/60/6-0-0/max-values.html

the 60E supports up to 32 DHCP servers. So shouldn't be a problem for that part. I'm assuming you have a good L2 switch, or multiple of them, to handle those vlans. Just pull a trunk port from the 60E into the main switch and let the switch(es) handle/spread vlans to your network as you're probably doing now. Then should be fine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

According to this on-line doc:

http://help.fortinet.com/fgt/60/6-0-0/max-values.html

the 60E supports up to 32 DHCP servers. So shouldn't be a problem for that part. I'm assuming you have a good L2 switch, or multiple of them, to handle those vlans. Just pull a trunk port from the 60E into the main switch and let the switch(es) handle/spread vlans to your network as you're probably doing now. Then should be fine.

RuuJan
New Contributor II

Thanks.The switches shouldn't be a problem.

Ruud.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

just the only pitfalls might be that a FGT can only tag vlans - it does not change vlan tagging in any way (like a switch does when you set a port to be untagged in a vlan) plus the fact that the dhcp settings are in different places on gui and cli in FortiOS :)

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors