Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
DinoH
New Contributor

Fortinet AP822iV2 Access Point to a Fortinet 60E-DSL

Hi there, 

I am a networking Noob and using a 60E-DSL and trying to add a Fortinet AP822iV2 Access Point but I can't seem to add it as a managed FortiAP.  I'm gathering I should have purchased a FAP but didn't know the difference (it made sense at the time to buy a Fortinet AP).

I guess if I could configure the AP in bridge mode I would be Ok but can't find how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers  

3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

To the best of my knowledge you cannot manage this AP (which is a Meru model, as Meru was aquired some time ago) with the Wifi controller on a FGT. FTNT is fading out these legacy APs. To really be open to both concepts (FortiOS wifi controller and the dedicated, ex-Meru FortiWLC), get a universal AP (FAP-Uxxx). Actually, they cost less than a FortiAP.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
DinoH
New Contributor

Thanks for replying Ede.  That's a shame.  Any advice on configuring as a access point in bridge mode?  Using POE and tried to connect over the serial via the console Ethernet port but didn't get very far with it. 

I was given this for my house so I don't need it managed, I just want it to work as an IP to give me better wireless :)

Lastly, if that doesn't work, would this work with my 60E, Fortinet FortiAP FAP-221C-N Indoor Wireless AP, in terms of auto discover, management etc.

Thanks again.

ede_pfau

Yes, the FAP-221C will work. IMHO the universal FAP-U221E would be cheaper but technically just as good, only newer. But, the price could depend on your region.

The C series is quite old, there is a FAP-221E on sale. Might be more expensive though.

Get both datasheets and compare. As far as I can see the FAP-U has a higher output rating.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors