Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
hche
New Contributor

PPPOE gateway & Static IP gateway never function at the same time due to distance setting

I have a Fortigate 301E, firmware 6.0.4 (I received it last week), and I am very new to the world of Fortinet, having migrated from another brand.   If I setup my static IP gateway (WAN1), it functions fine. Routing works. As soon as I add my PPPOE port (WAN2), and complete setting it up, then WAN1 dies. Routing stops. If I play with the distance settings on the two, then either one or the other works again. Never both together. I thought if both settings were the same, they would both work.   I have noticed that my pppoe settings that I added to the CLI, has a distance, and then there is also a distance setting in the corresponding static route policy for that pppoe gateway. I don't know if this is making a difference? Two distance settings. I have adjusted the distance settings to all sorts of values, but wan1 and wan2 just won't route traffic while the other is at the same or better distance.   Any thoughts?
2 REPLIES 2
BenneP
New Contributor

You should check SD-WAN feature, or you can give both WANs routes the same distance, but different priorities. The latter gives you fail-over, while SD-Wan gives you load-balancing. In my case, I used same distance, different priorities scenario, and I let the distance in the PPPOE interface to default (5). The route still appear in the routing monitor with a distance of (1). I use it only for fail-over, my WAN1 is cable with static IP, and Wan2 is PPPOE.

If you choose to do SD-WAN, you will need to set your policies to use the new SD-WAN interface as the destination, instead of WAN1 or WAN2 directly.

If distances are not equals, the longer distance route will get deleted from the routing table. check the Monitor - Routing Monitor to see what's happening.

hche
New Contributor

Thanks, I actually discovered the SD-WAN feature yesterday so have been playing with it. So far success thanks :)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors