Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bcradick
New Contributor

Mysterious OSPF Metric of 1

I've noticed that my OSPF metric value for a static route that is redistributed into OSPF has a value that is 1 more then the metrics I can account for. For example: I have a router 2 hops away. the metric for a static route that was redistributed in the Fortigate is 73. I can account for the first hop of 50. The second hop is 10 and the metric set for redistributing static routes into OSPF is 12. This added up is 72. But yet, the metric at the remote router is 73.

Where do I pick up the metric of 1?

Thanks Brian

2 REPLIES 2
bcradick
New Contributor

Update

I've discovered that if I add an OSPF Network but do not add a OSPF Interface, the cost of 1 is added to the metric on inbound routes to through this interface. I programmed the interface and a cost of 10. Now the metric reflects the additional cost of 10 on outbound routes that pass through this interface and the additional cost of 1 is gone on the inbound routes from other routers. This is odd to me because this should have no affect on the cost for routes inbound to the Fortigate on that interface.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You can look at the  OSPF database or pcap and validate but I think this is normal.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors