Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Belgarioz
New Contributor III

Firmware upgrades pushed only to slave, serious problem

Hello,

I have several HA Fortigate managed by a central FortiManager. All those FGT has 5.2.10 firmware release and we planned a scheduled update of all FGTs using FortiManager.

following fortinet upgrade steps 5.2.10 -> 5.2.12 -> 5.4.10 -> 5.6.7 we decided to upgrade one FGT HA. The upgrade until 5.4.10 went fine, but when we pushed the 5.4.10 -> 5.6.7 update we had a serious problem: the update has been pushed to the slave (as it should do), but it wasn't pushed to the master. As a result we had a huge packet loss after the slave rebooted. We had to ask the guy who was on site to power off the slave. Then the master went up and was NOT updated (it has 5.4.10). With the Slave still powered off we forced an update to the master. Then we powered on the slave... and everything went fine.

We tried the update to another HA cluster yesterday, and it did the SAME!!!!!

Clearly 5.4.10 -> 5.6.7 gives our firewalls many problems while updating: slave not pushing (or signaling) the update to the master.

TAC gave us some troubleshooting using console, but we can't do it: firewalls are scattered around European countries. It's complicated for us because on site tech guys are not prepared.

I don't know what is going on: previous updates worked like a charm.

Is the upgrade path correct? Anyone else is having this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
rdumitrescu
New Contributor III

Hi,

I had the same issue when I've upgrade a cluster of 800C from 5.4.5 to 5.4.9

The first step from 5.4.5 to 5.4.7 worked correctly.

From 5.4.7 to 5.4.9 instead only the slave has been upgraded while the master remained in 5.4.7

I have solved the issue by formatting both devices and installing via tftp the version 5.4.9

What model are you using?

Belgarioz

The models are different: I have many. They go from 90D to 240D.

I had the problem with a 240D and a 90D so far.

Formatting, sadly, is not an option for me. Those firewalls are all around Europe.

I am glad to see somebody else had this issue and this is a serious one

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors