Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Network Upgrade Solutions

Hi,

I have a fortinet 80E firewall with IPSEC VPN to branch (192.168.10.0/24) just for NAS backup and , DHCP server (SCOPE -192.168.1.60-192.168.1.225) for LAN interface, and WAN connection.

Presently sometime my  DHCP server is possibility getting full and there is no possibility to extend scope in the network since some machines already using static including ip cameras printers etc. 

So i want to know if its better to change subnet from /24 to /23 or /22 otherwise create a separate VLAN , if vlan how to create it (it will be inside my LAN interface)? or to create a hardware switch and create separate network? Which is better?  Please suggest since there are some more users gonna join....

https://drive.google.com/...4bNwB/view?usp=sharing

Thanks 

1 REPLY 1
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Perhaps the first step is to actual determine if the dhcp pool (scope) is actually near/full - if the DHCP server is running on the fgt - go into DHCP monitor and check the total count there (at the bottom); if the DHCP pool scope doesn't appear full then you may have another issue on your hand (e.g. a rogue router or similar device connected to the network - check the dhcp monitor for any conflicting IPs or other warning.)

If the lease pool is near or is full - a temporarily measure is to simply shorten the lease time for the scope to say 2 days or less. 

If you have wireless devices connecting to the network (either through a FortiAP or 3rd party ap) consider moving them off the 192.168.1.x subnet if they do not actually need to connect directly to it. 

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors