Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Infantryman
New Contributor

Fortigate 60C v4 in High Availability

Good day all,

I have 2 x Fortigate 60C v4 setup running in High Availability (Active-Passive). Because of some issues when I was setting up VDOMs, I've had to perform a clean install of the firmware in both units (and also easier to start from scratch). All requirements like firmware version 5.2.13 build 762, no contract services at all, same configuration, Priority 128 in Master and 50 in Slave, Pickup session enabled, same cluster group name as well as same password. Heartbeat is Fort-A port 4 to Fort-B port 4 and Heartbeat is Fort-A port 5 to Fort-B port 5. I've booted up Fort-A (Master) first....waited 5 minutes, plugged in Fort-A heartbeat ports to Fort-B (Slave) then booted up Fort-B as well (I wanted to make sure Fort-B is elected as Slave). Both unit gets blinking green lights for the ports I am using (including green lights for HA). After lets say, 30 seconds at the most, Fort-B (Slave) shuts down for an unknown reason. Only the Power status light stays on.

Any advice is more than welcome!

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Very strange.

Get more info by connecting to the console port (RJ45, Cisco type cable, usually supplied). I'd watch the slave's boot messages. The 60C is a slow booter, just booting up without forming a cluster will take like 2 minutes. If the FGT shuts down way earlier than that then I'd suspect some hardware problem (PSU, flash).

Post the messages you get and we'll see.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Infantryman

Thank you for your answer ede_pfau.   As requested, here is a copy/paste of the messages I've got from Putty when booting up:   FortiGate-60C (18:17-03.14.2012) Ver:04000027 Serial number: FGT60C3G12xxxxxx CPU(00): 525MHz Total RAM:  1GB Initializing boot device... Initializing MAC... nplite#0 Press any key to display configuration menu... ...... Reading boot image... 1127233 bytes. Initializing firewall... System is starting... FGT60_B login: Everything seems fine.   Thanks.
GusTech

Do you get any output in console after 30sec when status light stop?

Fortigate <3

Fortigate <3
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

That looks good.

Then, just log in to unit B. Get some info on the HA status:

diag sys ha status

diag sys ha history read

and the like.

If you can do that the slave unit doesn't look dead to me...

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors