Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Tommylai
New Contributor

Fortigate IPSec VPN unable to access shared folder through hostname

Hi all, Using Forticlient IPSec VPN to connect back to office network unable to access network shared through hostname but able through IP address. Also checked my VPN setting had included DNS IP into it. Please help.

Thank you

Regards,

Tommy

10 REPLIES 10
GusTech
Contributor II

Ask your dns, cmd: nslookup hostname

Fortigate <3

Fortigate <3
Yngve0
New Contributor II

I guess it is related to DNS or Hostname vs FQDN.

Check DHCP-option "015 DNS Domain Name" on all subnets.

Tommylai

Hi all,

Had done the nslookup and check the DNS IP is the same i input to the IPSEC VPN and check DHCP and DNS everything is correct.

GusTech

Are you trying: computername.domain.local or just computername? if only computername maybe you also have WINS.

if dns resolve hostname to correct ip you should also get ICMP replay from hostname - if you do get ICMP replay from direct ip.

nslookup hostname

ping ip

ping hostname

Fortigate <3

Fortigate <3
Tommylai

HI BrUz,

VPN connected i try to ping computer name or computer.domain.local it replied with public IP same goes to nslookup. This dont look normal to me. am i right?

GusTech

If DNS reply wrong ip address are you using correct dns server?

Btw, do you use FortiClient from computer or is this a tunnel between fortigate - fortigate

Fortigate <3

Fortigate <3
Tommylai

Hi Bruz,

The client computer is using Forticlient IPSec VPN connect back to office network. Also the DNS IP i configure in the fortigate IPSEC VPN is the correct IP.

GusTech

When you ask your DNS for ip address of your computerhostname in the other side of the tunnel you get your local computers public ip in reply??

Fortigate <3

Fortigate <3
Tommylai

When im connected to the Forticlient IPSEC VPN i ping my local computer IP / hostname it replied with public ip address.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors