Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
aaron833
New Contributor III

Most computers won't upgrade FortiClient from EMS

I've had this same problem since I've had FortiClient installations managed by EMS (6.0.4.0158) and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or this is just expected behavior.  Over the holiday break I assigned a deployment package to the profiles for most computers with the thought they would be upgraded by the time we got back.  That didn't happen, out of about 75 desktops, which are usually left powered on, only 12 upgraded and most of those are ones I upgraded before the break while testing to upgrade.  In EMS most of the PCs state "Endpoint Notified", but if you go to the actual computer there is no message to begin the installation - and as far as I know the deployment settings shouldn't require manual user input so I don't understand why they aren't getting upgraded.

I've always had problems with getting EMS to successfully upgrade FortiClient.  It doesn't help that there are no real helpful log messages to help determine why a client didn't get the upgrade so I'm somewhat lost here.  But most of these computers are constantly powered on so I can eliminate simple powered down reasons.  Can anybody help me figure out what's going on?  Honestly EMS really needs to get a better way of pushing out updates and ensuring all devices are updated.  This is too much of a pain!

As an example, here is a computer from our customer service department that was left on during the entire break that didn't get updated.  Attached are the deployment settings in the profile this specific PC is assigned to, and the status of the PC showing "Endpoint Notified", but nothing else.  It is still running FortiClient 5.6.5.1150 and is not upgrading to 6.0.4 as it should according to its profile.  I had to combine the images because this forum only allows one photo:

Any ideas?  I keep hoping this stuff will get sorted out with an EMS update, but I'm on the latest EMS 6.0.4 and still running into these issues.  

1 Solution
aaron833
New Contributor III

No I haven't and support hasn't been very helpful.  They said to remove HP Velocity, but I'm not too confident that'll resolve the issue.  Our old AV solution never had problems updating, and if it did I would get a notification the update failed, but FortiClient is always a pain and I never know if the update went okay or not.  I'm considering dumping it and going with a different AV.  Wish Fortinet would put more improvements into this product because its almost good, but the update process is just a disaster.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DTAnika
New Contributor

Did you ever find a resolution for this? We're experiencing something similar, where the majority of our clients are stuck on 5.4.2, are showing as "Endpoint Notified"... but aren't actually trying to upgrade. We have the "Auto Update" feature turned off as we don't want the clients to automatically upgrade to 6.0.5 yet, but that shouldn't impact the profile settings that specify the version.

aaron833
New Contributor III

No I haven't and support hasn't been very helpful.  They said to remove HP Velocity, but I'm not too confident that'll resolve the issue.  Our old AV solution never had problems updating, and if it did I would get a notification the update failed, but FortiClient is always a pain and I never know if the update went okay or not.  I'm considering dumping it and going with a different AV.  Wish Fortinet would put more improvements into this product because its almost good, but the update process is just a disaster.

networksupport1

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?

We are currently receiveing the 'Deployment - Endpoint Notified' when attempting to auto update our FortiClient versions using the EMS cloud.  We are attempting to update from 6.2.8.1012 to 6.4.6 but no luck so far:

networksupport1_0-1646141688525.png

Asskicker

Has anybody found a solution to force upgrade the Endpoint which are unattended or just showing "Endpoint Notified". i'm facing the same issue with a few endpoints.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors