Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
quangvu37
New Contributor

Is Static Route with Internet Service removed when link-monitor fail?

Dear all,

Currently I use Microsoft Services as Destination of Static Route over WAN1, then use link-monitor for WAN1. I wonder whether this Route will  be deletet from Policy Route when the link-monitor fail?

Can anybody help me clarify this?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I think only static routes toward wan1 would be removed if you monitor wan1. I don't think it would remove any policy routes, which are very sticky.

quangvu37

toshiesumi wrote:

I think only static routes toward wan1 would be removed if you monitor wan1. I don't think it would remove any policy routes, which are very sticky.

Thank you Toshi. So, do you know any way to fall back Microsoft traffic to WAN2 automatically in case WAN1 lost its connnection?

I am thinking about a script that ssh to Fortigate to disable those static routes.

lobstercreed

I'm a little bit confused...are you using a policy route to send Microsoft traffic to wan1 or a static route?  Those are very different things with different answers as to how to configure it for failover. 

You may need some combination of things in fact to get failover to work right, but understanding what you're starting with better would help me.  I have a somewhat similar situation except I'm not actually using link-monitor as I'm doing BGP.  The failover concept should be similar though.

quangvu37

I have done a test and confirm that when link-monitor is failed:

- The static route will be removed from routing table.

- The policy route (include static route with internet services as destination) will be changed to disable, check by diag firewall proute list in CLI

@lobstercreed: I use static route with Internet Services as Destination (from firmware 5.6 and later). It can be configured in Static Routes Menu but actually, it's a policy route.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors