Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
amargys
New Contributor

Serial console port instead RJ45 console port on Fortigate

Hi there,

I have couple FGT 3600C's which doesn't have RJ45 console port but has DB9 console port. I've tried multiple adaptors but can't get any output once these unit's once powered on. SSD's has been removed and status light never comes up just power light comes up green.

Just wondering if SSD removal could cause no Console output? I believe that if they powered on BIOS should still load and generate some output in my console session?

Maybe some one could point me to correct DB9 female to usb adapter? tried couple from Ebay with no luck and really need to setup these firewalls.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions/ ideas.

6 REPLIES 6
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

I attach a picture of a PDF from the old Knowledge Base article about DB9 to DB9 and DB9 to RJ45 pinouts.

Reversing the common RJ45-DB9 cable won't work. I'd use a DB9-DB9 (both female) cable and a DB9-USB serial adapter. The DB9 cable sometimes was called 'null-modem' cable.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
amargys

Hi Ede,

Thanks for your reply. Not sure I understand, what I will achieve if I use DB9-DB9 (both female) ? Wouldn't it be the same to plug in DB9-USB straight to the firewall?

Thanks,

Augustas

amargys

Bought DB9-DB9 female cable and serial to usb adapter, can see that it's recognized as COM8 port on my laptop, but still not getting any from console session.

Has anybody got experience consoling on Fortigate with serial console port? Don't want to believe that all 3 unit's are faulty especially when the green power light comes on, even if they faulty it should have some messages during boot up.

Help please:)

amargys

Or is it possible to boot the firmware from USB dongle without having console access?

ede_pfau

I've been busy the last days, sorry.

First, check that the pins cross-over correctly, with the help of the diagram and a multimeter. Then, the parameters for the serial port are 9600 - 8 - N - 1, with the first param being the speed in kilobits per second. This can vary as it is adjustable in the config. So, try 9600 first, boot and watch, change to 19.200, boot and watch,..and so on up to 115.000 bps. I agree you should see some BIOS message during boot after all.

You can install a firmware image during boot via USB stick...but, this option needs to be set in the config (conf system auto-install). It is enabled after a factory reset. So, if the people selling it were doing their job they factory-reset the device. Prepare a USB stick with max. 4 GB capacity, format with FAT or FAT32, put a valid image onto it, rename to "image.out". Then reboot or power cycle the FGT.

The firmware version is not important but it must match the hardware model. Again, reading the messages during boot and installation (or any error messages) would be helpful.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
SecurityPlus

I had symptoms like this though it was when I was using an RJ45 - Serial - USB connection. I could get a connection but could see nothing on the Putty interface. A check of the Serial to USC adapter driver might fix this. Replacing the Serial to USC adapter resolved the issue for me. I’ve heard good things about the Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors