Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dave254
New Contributor

MPLS Failover

We have two offices each with a Fortigate 61E running FortiOS 5.6.2. We have two MPLS connections between the two offices. The IPS are as follows: Office 1 LAN: 10.0.4.0/24 Office 2 LAN: 10.0.5.0/24 Office 1 Provider 1 MPLS: 192.168.4.2/30 Office 2 Provider 1 MPLS: 192.168.5.2/30 Office 1 Provider 2 MPLS: 172.16.4.2/30 Office 2 Provider 2 MPLS: 172.16.5.2/30 I have created static routes on both Fortigates using the Provider 1 link and there is connectivity between the two offices. I now want to use the provider 2 as a redundant link. If provider's 1 link fails I want to switch to provider 2. How would I go about achieving this?

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Option1: use one of dynamic routing protocols. We use BGP for this kind of situation since it's easier to manipulate/filter prefixes. But it doesn't matter much which protocol you use if just two points connected each other.

Option2: use two sets of static routes toward both MPLS links and one set has lower distance or priority. Then set up link-monitor over primary link and let the primary set of routes to go away when it goes down.

Below is an example for internet failover but the same way would work for MPLS or VPN interfaces after understanding the concept and applying the same concept.

https://cookbook.fortinet.com/redundant-internet-basic-failover-56/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Option1: use one of dynamic routing protocols. We use BGP for this kind of situation since it's easier to manipulate/filter prefixes. But it doesn't matter much which protocol you use if just two points connected each other.

Option2: use two sets of static routes toward both MPLS links and one set has lower distance or priority. Then set up link-monitor over primary link and let the primary set of routes to go away when it goes down.

Below is an example for internet failover but the same way would work for MPLS or VPN interfaces after understanding the concept and applying the same concept.

dave254

toshiesumi wrote:

Thanks for the info, I will test it out and get back with the results.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors