Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dustwynn
New Contributor

Fortigate 100D - USB to Console

I need to do a clean install on a 100D firewall. I need to connect to it via CLI. I have a USB to RJ-45 cable and was wondering what program is best to use? Putty? Also, how do I figure out what COM port the USB is using? Would it be easier to use a crossover cable? Our network guy said it will not boot to web interface and has asked me to do this. 

Sorry for the noob question. It has been 10 years since I've connect to console on a device. Just looking for a little guidance. 

12 REPLIES 12
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

It's all about your PC side. It doesn't matter if it's FGT or any other routers or whatever you want to use the console port. Just calm down and think how it would work logically ;)

First, you need to make your USB serial adapter work. It requires a driver (windows or mac). Then if it's windows the COM port number comes up under Port(COM&LPT) in Device Manager. If Mac you probably know it better than me.

Then it doesn't matter what kind of terminal emulation software you use. Any of them should work just fine.

dustwynn

toshiesumi wrote:

It's all about your PC side. It doesn't matter if it's FGT or any other routers or whatever you want to use the console port. Just calm down and think how it would work logically ;)

First, you need to make your USB serial adapter work. It requires a driver (windows or mac). Then if it's windows the COM port number comes up under Port(COM&LPT) in Device Manager. If Mac you probably know it better than me.

Then it doesn't matter what kind of terminal emulation software you use. Any of them should work just fine.

Thank you Toshiesumi! It popped right up in Device Manager like you said. Easy peasy.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

and from then e.g. Putty will do the trick or any other terminal pogram that can do serial. Like windows hyperterminal etc etc.

Connection settings btw are: 9600-8-N-1 and no flow controls.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
dustwynn

I got connected through Putty and now I am getting the "open boot device failed" error. I tried formatting and restoring from backup with no success. I am waiting on a co-worker to give me a copy of the firmware and I will try a clean install. Any suggestions on the error above?

sw2090
Honored Contributor

ummm...if you formatted boot device you have eliminated your firmware with it. So you do need to get a firmware image and use tftp to upload to your FGT to make it boot again.

Unfortunately Firmware images are available only in Fortinet Support Portal for which you need to have a registered account plus a valid Fortinet support contract.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

should have re-read your last post before I answered :)

if you have a colleague that can give you an image - good.

once you have the firmware up and the fgt booting again you could try to restore your backup (if it was from the same firmware version at least).

You cannot restore a backup without firmware.

-- 

dustwynn

So I got a copy of the firmware today and have TFTP loaded and configured correctly. I am now getting "valid link is not established" after I input:

Please connect TFTP server to Ethernet port 'MGT'.

Enter TFTP server address [192.168.1.168]: 192.168.42.36 (TFTP Server Address) Enter local address [192.168.1.188]: 192.168.42.30 (Random IP Address) Enter firmware image file name [image.out]: image.out (Firmware File Name)

I only have my laptop connect to the console port. What can I do to fix the error message? Local IP address would be for what?

Seppel

you have to connect your notebook via serial interface on the fortigate console and a network cable from the notebook to the mgmt port of the fortigate, then that should work with tftp.another option would be to copy the image.out to the usb stick and install the firmware from the usb stick when booting. also the config can be on the same usb stick with the name fgt_system.conf.

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager

FortiEMS

FortiSandbox 1000D

FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager FortiEMS FortiSandbox 1000D FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Siince I am atm not sure if the FGT runs a DHCP Server on MGMT Port in Bootloader you  might have to apply the correct network config to your Laptop also.

-- 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors