Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
padraig
New Contributor

Integrating Meru Wireless APs with the FortiGate 60E

Hello,

Has anyone had any luck with integrating Meru Wireless APs with a FortiGate 60e? 

It seems when I try to create a managed AP I cannot since it's requiring a 16 character serial number and the Meru Wireless APs are 15 characters...

I believe Meru Wireless APs can be converted into FortiAPs? 

Any assistance would be appreciated :) 

Thanks 

5 Solutions
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Which model APs are you using? The older Meru APs can't be managed by the FortiGate, only the Meru/WLC controller.

The newer FAPU (for universal) APs can be configured by either the Meru/WLC controller or the FortiGate.

View solution in original post

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

One of my FAP-U's has the serial no. PU321E5E18010000 (OK, some digits changed...). But, it's a FAP-U!

I read that on boot they will search for a WLC first, then for a FGT. They need to reboot for this as they change their firmware image.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
bmorris
New Contributor III

Hey,

What firmware are you running on your FortiGate? I believe support for the FAP-U 321 was only added in version 6.0.2. I've checked on my Gate which is running 6.0.3 and the 321 profile is on there.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

These Meru APs cannot be managed by a FGT. Tried to find a place in the docs to prove it but haven't found any.

Ede

neonbit
Valued Contributor

AP332i models are the older Meru ones, they aren't the same as FAPUs so they can't be managed by the FortiGate.

9 REPLIES 9
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Which model APs are you using? The older Meru APs can't be managed by the FortiGate, only the Meru/WLC controller.

The newer FAPU (for universal) APs can be configured by either the Meru/WLC controller or the FortiGate.

padraig

The model is an AP332i Dual Radio access point. Is it not possible to integrate these APs with the FortiGate 60e Wifi Controller?

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

One of my FAP-U's has the serial no. PU321E5E18010000 (OK, some digits changed...). But, it's a FAP-U!

I read that on boot they will search for a WLC first, then for a FGT. They need to reboot for this as they change their firmware image.

Ede

bmorris
New Contributor III

Hey,

What firmware are you running on your FortiGate? I believe support for the FAP-U 321 was only added in version 6.0.2. I've checked on my Gate which is running 6.0.3 and the 321 profile is on there.

padraig

I was on 6.0.1 but I've just updated to 6.0.3 and I can see a FortiAP profile named "FAPU321EV" but nothing labeled "332i" 

I also still cannot type in the 15 characters serial number within the "Managed FortiAPs" section it requires 16 characters.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

These Meru APs cannot be managed by a FGT. Tried to find a place in the docs to prove it but haven't found any.

Ede

neonbit
Valued Contributor

AP332i models are the older Meru ones, they aren't the same as FAPUs so they can't be managed by the FortiGate.

padraig

Thanks for everyone's input on this query. It's very much appreciated! Thanks for clarifying. 

kendos
New Contributor

Hiya.  Did you get anywhere with this?  I am also trying to do this...

Kind Regards.

Ken.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors