Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bohra_ajay
New Contributor

Dual Homed BGP - Redistribution

Hello All,

I'm new to Fortigate. I've one Fotigate 40C with FortiOS 5.2.

I have 2 ISPs A & B with BGP. I've terminated both the ISP on WAN1 and WAN2 Ports and have configured the same as suggested in the below KB, followed every word (except for IPs :) ) :

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/52data/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-advanced-routing-52/Routing_BGP/D...

All was working, but now the BGP routes of ISP A are being redistributed to ISP B and vice versa, which created a loop like problem in my network and it went down. I had to shut the port of ISP B.

I am looking for the solution, so that the BGP routes of ISPs are not redistributed to each other and the failover works perfectly.

Please help me on this. Thanks

Ajay Bohra

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay a few items, 1st off the  ISP  that  redistributing are not doing things correctly. You are being a transit.

2nd,  YOU are not doing things correctly either ;)

What you can do

1:  craft a route-map with distribution that allows just origination from  your  AS

or 

2: set the  prefixes to be advertise

config access-list

edit "export1"

config rule

edit 1

set prefix 192.10.1.0 255.255.255.0

set exact-match enable

next

edit 2

set action deny

end

{bgp neighors }

config neighbor

edit x.x.x.x

set remote-as 7701

set distribute-list-out "export1"

next

That would be one way to quickly drop and filter all routes. Just add  more rules b4 your deny if you have multiple prefixes. 

A route-map and prefixlist can be used also;

config router prefix-list

edit "outprefixes"

config rule

edit 1

set prefix 172.9.1.0/240

unset ge

unset le

next

end

next

end

# add more rules for each prefix you want to send

config router route-map

edit "myexporte"

config rule

edit 1

set match-ip-address "outprefixes""

next

end

next

end

Just defined the route-map per under each BGP neighbor  

config neighbor             edit x.x.x.x                 set remote-as 7701                 set route-map-out "myexporte"             next

edit y.y.y.y                 set remote-as 7701                 set route-map-out "myexporte"             next         end

using a route map you can do many other items like set tags and  control routes that way also. I personally like to tag inbound  routes with the  ISP ASN and then set a single filter that says  if tag match blahblahblah  drop.

50/50 ymmv  but play around with either of the two examples to get a control on your  BGP advertises. Your ISP should be doing this by default and dropping advertisements from that other ISP-ASN but than again  a lot of ISP do not do a good job with route-control and  this is how  google prefixes where just recently hack 1/2 weeks ago ;(

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
2 REPLIES 2
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay a few items, 1st off the  ISP  that  redistributing are not doing things correctly. You are being a transit.

2nd,  YOU are not doing things correctly either ;)

What you can do

1:  craft a route-map with distribution that allows just origination from  your  AS

or 

2: set the  prefixes to be advertise

config access-list

edit "export1"

config rule

edit 1

set prefix 192.10.1.0 255.255.255.0

set exact-match enable

next

edit 2

set action deny

end

{bgp neighors }

config neighbor

edit x.x.x.x

set remote-as 7701

set distribute-list-out "export1"

next

That would be one way to quickly drop and filter all routes. Just add  more rules b4 your deny if you have multiple prefixes. 

A route-map and prefixlist can be used also;

config router prefix-list

edit "outprefixes"

config rule

edit 1

set prefix 172.9.1.0/240

unset ge

unset le

next

end

next

end

# add more rules for each prefix you want to send

config router route-map

edit "myexporte"

config rule

edit 1

set match-ip-address "outprefixes""

next

end

next

end

Just defined the route-map per under each BGP neighbor  

config neighbor             edit x.x.x.x                 set remote-as 7701                 set route-map-out "myexporte"             next

edit y.y.y.y                 set remote-as 7701                 set route-map-out "myexporte"             next         end

using a route map you can do many other items like set tags and  control routes that way also. I personally like to tag inbound  routes with the  ISP ASN and then set a single filter that says  if tag match blahblahblah  drop.

50/50 ymmv  but play around with either of the two examples to get a control on your  BGP advertises. Your ISP should be doing this by default and dropping advertisements from that other ISP-ASN but than again  a lot of ISP do not do a good job with route-control and  this is how  google prefixes where just recently hack 1/2 weeks ago ;(

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
bohra_ajay

Hello Ken,

thanks for the suggestion. I had googled earlier and tried using Prefix-List, but somewhere I was doing something wrong.

I created and applied the Prefix-List as suggested by you and its working :)

Thanks Again.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors