Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
thrillseeker
New Contributor

Proxy Policy to filter different User-Agents?

Hi all,

Is there a way to filter on FGT 5.6.x inside a proxy policy by custom User-Agent?

I know there are some specific proxy-source  objects which can be configured with some User-Agents (e.g. Internet Explorer in drop-down list).

In my case I need to filter for a custom User-Agent.

I know it's possible to build customer application signatures but unfortuantely I couldn't find any information on how to build such customer signatures. Is it like SNORT syntax?

In the logs I see that FGT recognizes the User-Agent correctly, so probably there should also be a way to use that information for proxy rules?!

Thanks for feedback

Cheers Thrillseeker 

1 REPLY 1
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I wrote article many years back on my custom  UA signature. For HTTPS website you need decryption in order to use the  signature for the obvious reasons and how much of a DPI  resource  hit for decryption and  UA inspection are ?s that you would need to take into considerations

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2014/06/using-fortigate-firewall-to-find-and.html

To answer the 1st part,  I never seen a predefined  UA list  but really haven't  did a lot of  UA filter in a proxy. 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors