Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

Firewall Sizing

We have a customer that needs its first firewall. They are a group of about 15 users that may grow to 25 users within the lifespan of the FortiGate. They will use the array of UTM features including deep packet inspection. I don't think that they will use many other features of the FortiGate. What models would others recommend? I was wondering about the 60E. If we implemented something larger is the higher the number always better (i.e. 60E, 80E, 90E, etc.)? Are there any models that have a nice jump in performance for the additional cost?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Fullmoon
Contributor III

for me 80E/81E is fine.

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
neonbit
Valued Contributor

60E is the best bang for your buck, would definitely recommend.

ede_pfau

Your last question: models within the same range roughly save the same use cases. So, FG 30,60,80 to 90 are desktop models for SOHO. The E series brought a huge performance gain compared to the D series, so for small offices a 60E might even be too powerful :)

Next step up is the 100 to 900 range (corp, rackmount), then the 1000 to 39xx range (DC, enterprise, xSP).

So, a real step up from a 60E would be the 100E, for a simple reason: twice the RAM. UTM will benefit from it.

Still, IMHO a 60E would be a good choice. Get the 3 year UTM bundle for the lowest OpEx.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
SecurityPlus

Thanks for the great information and suggestions everyone!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors