Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
startover909
New Contributor

Make SSL VPN DNS setting completely override client DNS setting instead of co-existing

Currently, if we specify DNS servers in the SSN-VPN settings, the Forticlient VPN client puts these servers as the first DNS servers in client computer upon connection, then appending the client's original DNS servers as secondary entries. 

We all know Windows does not necessarily or reliably choose the DNS servers in the order listed. Sometimes it will make the wrong choice, and this causes problems because we rely on our internal DNS to resolve some names (including split zones). Mixing public and internal DNS servers is rarely a good idea and sometimes weird stuff happens that's difficult to troubleshoot.

So is it possible to make the DNS servers specified in Fortigate SSL VPN settings completely override and *replace* the client's original settings?

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

That's probably not controlled by the server side. Mac would behave differently although server side config is indifferent between Mac and Windows. If something can be done, it has to be in FortiClient setting, which I don't know if even possible.

startover909

toshiesumi wrote:

That's probably not controlled by the server side. Mac would behave differently although server side config is indifferent between Mac and Windows. If something can be done, it has to be in FortiClient setting, which I don't know if even possible.

Yeah the action of changing Windows DNS servers apparently is done by the FortiClient. It's just that the way it's currently done is not ideal when the server setting says to use specified DNS server. I don't understand why they think it's a good idea to append the original DNS servers on the client. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors