Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
hailie
New Contributor

WAN interface

hello,

when I connect a modem to FortiGate the wan interface LED doesn't turn on. even in GUI the link stays down! I've changed the cable and try it with other interfaces but the result is the same  

2 REPLIES 2
Philippe_Gagne
Contributor

Hi,

Did you upgrade recently? I have the same issue with a Fortigate 60E upgraded from 5.4.x to 6.0.3 following the upgrade path. 

Two way to handle it: force speed and duplex for start it now. But it will be slow. 

The fix: full format of the device. Backup your configuration, reboot with console port, format unit and push the FortiOS of your backup then restore. It works for us.

Philippe

Dave_Hall

I would direct connect a laptop to the modem and if needed configure the same static settings (as on the fgt) - otherwise see if the modem gives the laptop an internal or routeable IP.  If you can ping/access the Internet then the problem is likely with the fgt.  If the laptop is unable to connect or not getting a routable IP then contact the ISP.

Next (or even before the above step) I would connect a console cable to the fgt and using your favorite terminal program (e.g. Putty) reboot the fgt and see what error messages pop up.

Assuming there is possible flash corruption, you will likely need to reformat the boot disk and reinstall FortiOS.  Backup the config prior to performing this step.

It would be a good idea to load the HQIP image for your fgt and run the diag tests. 

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors