Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
toadye
New Contributor

Config Compatibility

Simple question for anyone who has been working with ForiGates for any reasonable time.  We need to purchaser a replacement device for our current one that is running Firmwware v5.2.1.  Can I purchase the replacement device and apply the config from our current device to the new one?  Any other considerations that need to be taken in the device replacement?

3 Solutions
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

If the replacement is the exact same model and running the same version, you just need to "restore" the saved config file from the old one. Just like when you get a device RMAed and received a new one.

If you haven't set your own hostname, the config has the old serial number. You probably want to change it to match the new S/N.

View solution in original post

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Nope, no  major changes outside of  subscriptions and  other issues with  license ( vdom,  url/ips,AV,etc...) Cfg should be the same if the  model are the same

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Alexis_G
Contributor II

you mean RMA ?

two things

If its the same hardware AND if it is the same ForitOS , yes you are OK.

BUT

I suppose you will obtain different hardware and different FortiOS version.

So you might need to install partial parts of configuration to the new one.

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

If the replacement is the exact same model and running the same version, you just need to "restore" the saved config file from the old one. Just like when you get a device RMAed and received a new one.

If you haven't set your own hostname, the config has the old serial number. You probably want to change it to match the new S/N.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Nope, no  major changes outside of  subscriptions and  other issues with  license ( vdom,  url/ips,AV,etc...) Cfg should be the same if the  model are the same

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Alexis_G
Contributor II

you mean RMA ?

two things

If its the same hardware AND if it is the same ForitOS , yes you are OK.

BUT

I suppose you will obtain different hardware and different FortiOS version.

So you might need to install partial parts of configuration to the new one.

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
toadye

Thank you all for this.  I was also able to get the following link from the support chat as well.

https://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1702/Transferring_a_configuration_file_from_one_model_to_an...

As you will notice on opening it, this is not a supported practice by Foritnet, however, they will still provide it.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors