Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dsykora
New Contributor II

FortiClient 6.0.3.0155 blocks some youtube videos by default

Hello,

I am new to FortiClient and am using it for Anti Virus on a few Win 7 Pro computers.  When some youtube videos are attempted (i.e. [link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DqPBJNkvk[/link] ), I get an error message in the viewer "Video unavailable This video is restricted.  Try signing in with a Google Apps account."  If Forticlient is shutdown, the video works.  If Forticlient is restarted, the video fails again.  I do not see any indication that the site is blocked in Forticlient (no notifications, 0 Sites Blocked).  I tried adding an exclusion *.youtube.com  but that didn't help either.  I cleared the Forticlient log, tried to open video, and then exported the log.  However, I do not see any blocking.  I can add the log file if that is useful to anyone.  

Any suggestions to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale Sykora

2 Solutions
dsykora
New Contributor II

The problem went away when we downgraded to Forticlient 6.0.2 

View solution in original post

tsypyshev_pi

So, the cause of this problem is a safe search feature enabled by default. I've found solution to disable it. You need unlock settings and go to Settings -> System section -> Backup. Specify backup file and click Ok. Then open XML file in any text editor and find <safe_search> section. Change values from 1 to 0 for <enabled> variables.

<safe_search>
  <enabled>0</enabled>
  <search_engines>
     <enabled>0</enabled>
After that save file and restore configuration from this file. I think this feature is presented in EMS GUI, but absent int FC GUI.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
lenin83
New Contributor

I noticed this as well yesterday, backing to FortiClient 6.0.2 resolved the issue for me.

I didn't look that closely into it, but I imagine that the FortiClient for Windows triggers some sort of Family or Restricted mode policy in the operating system that is inherited by Chrome and Internet Explorer. Quite useful in corporate enviroments and public endevours, but there isn't a setting in a standalone client to control this behavior.

dsykora
New Contributor II

Thanks lenin83!  I will try to back down a version.

SteveG
Contributor III

Sorry I don't have any suggestions but we've been seeing the same here. Didn't even think it could be FC!

dsykora
New Contributor II

The problem went away when we downgraded to Forticlient 6.0.2 

Kent1988

Where to get the forticlient6.0.2?

tsypyshev_pi

Good day, collegues! I've catched same problem at FC 6.0.5.0209. Downgrade to 6.0.2 it is a fast and simple way to solve the problem. But maybe anyone knows another way to unblock youtube? I guess that we need change some web filter settings. It looks like some youtube videos ranged to blocked category. And maybe Fortinet engineer/support can answer this question?

tsypyshev_pi

So, the cause of this problem is a safe search feature enabled by default. I've found solution to disable it. You need unlock settings and go to Settings -> System section -> Backup. Specify backup file and click Ok. Then open XML file in any text editor and find <safe_search> section. Change values from 1 to 0 for <enabled> variables.

<safe_search>
  <enabled>0</enabled>
  <search_engines>
     <enabled>0</enabled>
After that save file and restore configuration from this file. I think this feature is presented in EMS GUI, but absent int FC GUI.
r0ok1e

I Fixed this, with this solution,

kierane

Thank you for your help.

"I Fixed this, with this solution"

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors