Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AlexFeren
New Contributor III

FSSO Collector Agent version versus FortiOS versus Windows Server version

Hello,

I'm unable to find compatibility matrix for FSSO, FortiOS and (its hosting) Windows Server version. Any hyperlink would be most appreciated.

We're currently running FSSO Collector Agent v4.3.0164 (in "Polling Mode" ie. without DC Agents) against Fortigates v5.2.6 on Windows Server 2008 R2. I've been requested to update Windows Server to something newer (perhaps 2012 R2 or 2016). I need to know if I need to update FSSO Collector Agent before performing update of Windows.

R's, Alex

3 REPLIES 3
Fishbone_FTNT

Hello Alex,

your version of FSSO CA doesn't support Windows 2016. Anyway, it's quite old release (released with FortiOS 5.2.3 back in 2015. Now it depends on your choice.

A.

If you upgrade your server to 2012R2 only, you should be fine with FSSO CA build 164 (or build 237) - both support 2012R2 and FOS 5.2.3.

B.

If you upgrade your server to 2016, you can also upgrade FortiOS to latest 5.2.13 and use FSSO CA to build 264 (released with FOS 5.2.13). This above is what is officially supported.

I would personally recommend B (please make all necessary steps when upgrading FortoOS).

However, FSSO protocol is not changing much. If you feel you can try also other ways, you can install latest official FSSO CA build 271 (released with FOS 5.4.10/5.6.6/6.0.3) on Win server 2016 or 2012R2 and try if that one also works with your FortiOS version. It should, but we can't guarantee that.

-Fishbone

smithproxy hacker - www.smithproxy.org

AlexFeren

Hi Fishbone. Thank you for information. Is there a compatibility matrix you can hyperlink to? R’s, Alex
xsilver_FTNT

Official combinations of FortiOS vs FSSO components vs Windows versions are part of interoperability/compatibility notes in every FortiOS release notes. Check FortiOS version you would like to run for compatibility.

But as Fishbone stated, it's unofficially and most probably compatible like any 5.x or 6.x FortiOS with any 5.x FSSO .. what is added are some additional features and tested support for newer Windows versions. The rest is supposed to be backward compatible, but as it was not thoroughly tested it's not officially supported. Experience says it just works most of the time.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors