Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RasmusM
New Contributor

SSL VPN 443 & VIP 443

Hello

Is it possible to have an VIP that redirect incoming WAN traffic on 443 to an internal server AND using 443 to SSL VPN traffic?

Right now we are using 10443, which works fine but problems arise when our road warriors are behind external firewalls on hotels, trains e.g that block 10443. Almost every firewall allows 443, which is why we want the change.

I presented the idea to maintain SSL 10443 (more secure than 443) and create an IPsec tunnel, that users could attempt to use in case 10443 was blocked, but the idea was shutdown by they probably block IPsec ports as well.

Anyone know a workaround?

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Not really. You need to have different public IPs for the web server(?) and SSL VPN server. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Not really. You need to have different public IPs for the web server(?) and SSL VPN server. 

RasmusM

toshiesumi wrote:

We have available IPs, but the issue is we are using one of the IPs in the scope on the WAN interface so when I try to configure a new interface, it conflicts because it is in the same subnet.

Can I somehow make a VIP that forwards the VPN IP to the firewall itself for SSL VPN?  

tanr
Valued Contributor II

RasmusM wrote:

We have available IPs, but the issue is we are using one of the IPs in the scope on the WAN interface so when I try to configure a new interface, it conflicts because it is in the same subnet.

Can I somehow make a VIP that forwards the VPN IP to the firewall itself for SSL VPN?  

A simpler solution may be to just specify Secondary IP Addresses for your wan interface, that you can use for IPSec with one of the secondary IP addresses.  Then you don't need to do the customized port, etc.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

The problem with the idea is the secondary IP on the interface needs to be outside of the primary IP's subnet.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

I thought the OP said it was actually in the same subnet?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

RasmauM wrote "we are using one of the IPs in the scope on the WAN interface" so I assumed all public IPs were in one subnet.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Yes, I assume they are in one subnet, but it's valid to add IPs in the same subnet to the same wan interface as Secondary IP Addresses.   That's actually how I have our primary IPSec VPN set up, using one of our additional public IPs.

I think RasmauM was trying to use one of the public IPs they had in the same subnet as the primary wan interface IP, but got the error when trying to create a *new* sub-interface to the wan interface using that IP.  I was pointing out that they don't need to create a new interface and can just add the secondary IP to the existing interface. 

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I've learned something new today. Most routers don't allow it so I've been assuming the same with FGT. I tested it and both IPs in the same subnet is pingable.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Rare occurrence that I knew something before you, Toshi!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors