Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Marcel_Sueess
New Contributor

Fortigate VM Evaluation License not working since FortiOS 6.0.1

Hi all

for testing, there was an integrated evaluation license for 15 days in each Fortigate VM. Since FortiOS 6.0.1 the evaluation license expires right from the first start of the virtual machine. In the GUI, there is the message "Expired on 1970/01/01" with the possibility to upload a license file. Until FortiOS 6.0.0 it works as before.

Was the feature for evaluation license removed or is this a bug?

I tested with FortiOS 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.0.3 with VMware Workstation 12.5.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Marcel

2 Solutions
dennisv
New Contributor III

I noticed this one on reddit aswell and here is a copy-paste of what I posted there.

Here is what I did to get it working in VMware Player, but workstation should be the same. Default VM ovf (no hw04/vmxnet) , network in bridged mode.

import vm edit vm settings tab1, all interfaces disable connect at power on tab2, time sync with host enabled start vm

-wait for prompt- admin / <enter> # get system status -check for evaluation time expires and correct system time at bottom- # config system ntp # set ntpsync disable # set type custom # end

edit vm settings tab1 set all interfaces to connected and connect at power on

# get system interface -look for the ip on port1 and connect to webgui via https

Consultant @ Exclusive Networks BV

Datacenter Networking and Security

NSE4 6.0

Fortinet, HPe/Aruba, Arista, Juniper and many more

View solution in original post

Consultant @ Exclusive Networks BV Datacenter Networking and Security NSE4 6.0 Fortinet, HPe/Aruba, Arista, Juniper and many more
femi

exec factoryreset resolved the eva license issue. I'm running it on Hyper-V.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Penultimatum
New Contributor

No answer to this?  I have just found the same problem.

I have downloaded the VM hoping to use the evaluation period to help with NSE4 study, but it appears its no longer possible?

neonbit

I've installed a FGT VM on 6.0.1 and 6.0.3 and they both work fine in eval mode.

One thing to note is that you have to give it only 1GB and 1CPU for it to work properly. Also it's very restriced (I think only 5 policies and no VPN/encryption).

Marcel_Sueess

Hi neonbit

thank you very much for your reply and the test. I knew the limitation for RAM and CPU and also the restrictions for the number of policies.

I tried it again and I think, I found the problem. After importing the image into VMware Workstation, I have to check a box on time settings under the options of the VM. Seems, that it was checked by default on the 6.0.0 releases and before. (See attachment)

Best regards

Marcel

chirag_rao

Hi Marcel,

I tried it, but still the same problem. I am trying the latest image 6.2.0 on VMware Workstation 12.5.5.

Error: *ATTENTION*: Admin sessions removed because license registration status changed to 'INVALID'

I tried downloading a fresh image a couple of times, but that did not help either. With earlier images, it used to work seamless.

Any help from anyone?

Regards,

Chirag Rao

dennisv
New Contributor III

I noticed this one on reddit aswell and here is a copy-paste of what I posted there.

Here is what I did to get it working in VMware Player, but workstation should be the same. Default VM ovf (no hw04/vmxnet) , network in bridged mode.

import vm edit vm settings tab1, all interfaces disable connect at power on tab2, time sync with host enabled start vm

-wait for prompt- admin / <enter> # get system status -check for evaluation time expires and correct system time at bottom- # config system ntp # set ntpsync disable # set type custom # end

edit vm settings tab1 set all interfaces to connected and connect at power on

# get system interface -look for the ip on port1 and connect to webgui via https

Consultant @ Exclusive Networks BV

Datacenter Networking and Security

NSE4 6.0

Fortinet, HPe/Aruba, Arista, Juniper and many more

Consultant @ Exclusive Networks BV Datacenter Networking and Security NSE4 6.0 Fortinet, HPe/Aruba, Arista, Juniper and many more
Marcel_Sueess

Hi Dennis

thank you very much for your information. I tried your steps exactly as described even with version 6.2.1 and it worked for me. Thanks.

Greets

Marcel

vmwaredinesh

dennisv wrote:
I noticed this one on reddit aswell and here is a copy-paste of what I posted there. Here is what I did to get it working in VMware Player, but workstation should be the same. Default VM ovf (no hw04/vmxnet) , network in bridged mode.import vm edit vm settings tab1, all interfaces disable connect at power on tab2, time sync with host enabled start vm-wait for prompt- admin / <enter> # get system status -check for evaluation time expires and correct system time at bottom- # config system ntp # set ntpsync disable # set type custom # endedit vm settings tab1 set all interfaces to connected and connect at power on# get system interface -look for the ip on port1 and connect to webgui via https

i tried these steps. After enabling the adapters the NTP settings revert back to Fortigaurd. Am i doing anything wrong ? do i need to do anything to save the config ?

Marcel_Sueess

Hi,

did you really execute the following commands (incl. the "end" to save) in the cli?

config system ntp
set ntpsync disable
set type custom
end

For me it worked as expected with the FortiOS 6.2.1.

Greets

Marcel

femi

exec factoryreset resolved the eva license issue. I'm running it on Hyper-V.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors