Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vinceneil666
Contributor

EMS 6.0 Software Inventory

Hi people ! 

So I upgraded EMS to 6.0.2 - and all looks fine. But I am unable to get anything for the software inventory ? There is nothing there... might it take a long time to populate ? And/or do my forticlient to be at a minimum level ??

EDIT !

After googeling hard I found a blog that states that you will need FortiClient 6.0 to get Software Inventory to work. I cant se this being mentioned anywhere in fortinet documentation or web.

Looks like a completley useless feature, it dont even recognize that I have chrome or spotify installed. Impossible to run any reports or use it for anything. Anyone actually got this to work in a proper way ?

10 REPLIES 10
SteveG
Contributor III

It only works with DC 6 and above!

I'm confident FN have more plans ahead for this feature......

vinceneil666

Yeah - I fgured it out eventually.

Im sure that they have plans Ahead, I just find it strange that they release something that is useless. The sales material from Fortinet looks to be finalized allright :) .. They are just not delivering what the sales material says. When you tell Your customers that you can have software Inventory - you should deliver software Inventory. Or at least something Close to it.. this feature is just completley useless

kd007
New Contributor III

Yeah agreed that it is useless at the moment. This was just introduced in 6.0 so just be patient with it. I recently updated to 6.0.3 and it seems to work much better in this version, though there is still no reporting that I can find (maybe this is supposed to be done through FortiAnalyzer?)

vinceneil666

I have a ticket with Fortinet about this, but I do not get a whole lot of info. I wnet back n forth with them so much that I finaly got an email from a senior tech or manager stating that "yeah, we know, its not working very well, we are working on it" :) .. or something in that fashon :)

Fortinet tells me that there is a update comming beginning december and that will take care of the discovery at least - but I have my doubts to be honest. Lets see ! :)

Cant find anything in fortianalyzer at all. And this is my biggest issue - if we can get the data out in a decent way its a bit hopeless. They will probably get something done - but still www.fortinet.com is "selling" it... So, thats whats gets me. they are selling something that they cant deliver on.

but yeah.. hoping!.. it would be cool to get it working.

vinceneil666

I have updated my FortiClient to 6.0.3.0155, and then my inventory looks better. Im no seeing 157 applications on my test laptop - its still not picking up on Spotify for some reason. But it looks way better at least.

But still the data is non-exportable, it dont show up anywhere in Fortianalyzer

Nenad

Hi all.

I guess there is still no resolution (functionality) to be able to export Total Application list from the software inventory?

I would imagine one could run a SQL script on the DB since it is after all an Apache www? (to export to CSV)

(I need to provide the list to the Big Boss, and i have over 2000 applications installed :(

vinceneil666

Hi,

No - still nothing. And I do still have issues with all software not being found at all. I was told that Fortinet will be releasing something mid december now. That will do something - but they are having a hard time telling med actually what it will do.

As long as they dont get an export button there, or anything similar - the whole software inventory is a big joke. :) .. We have also looked into grabbing it from the sql, but we will probably rather choose a different product from a different vendor. :\

Nenad

Thanks for your reply vinceneil666

Sebastiaan_Koopmans

EMS And client 6.0.4 are released and there are mulitple fixes etc for also this feature... This is an really new feature and needs still some perfection but what i can see with EMS 6.0.4 and FC 6.0.X it looks lot better.

FortiAnalyzer / 6.4.0

FortiClient / 6.2.6 FortiClient EMS VM / 6.2.6

FortiGate 300D HA 6.2.4 FortiGate 500E HA 6.2.4 FortiGate 30E / 60E / 100E / 6.0.9 FortiMail VM HA / 6.4.0 FortiSandbox VM / 3.2.0

FortiWeb VM / 6.3.2

FortiManager VM / 6.4.0

FortiAnalyzer / 6.4.0 FortiClient / 6.2.6 FortiClient EMS VM / 6.2.6 FortiGate 300D HA 6.2.4 FortiGate 500E HA 6.2.4 FortiGate 30E / 60E / 100E / 6.0.9 FortiMail VM HA / 6.4.0 FortiSandbox VM / 3.2.0 FortiWeb VM / 6.3.2 FortiManager VM / 6.4.0
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors