Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
live89
Contributor

fortimail - default action

hello

Two questions please:

1- What does it means the default action in the antivirus profile ? what if I select "none" ?

"see screenshot"

2- What is the recommended version and is there any path to upgrade from 5.3.3 to the recommended version ?

Thanks

Thanks
1 Solution
Carl_Windsor_FTNT

1- What does it means the default action in the antivirus profile ? what if I select "none" ? "see screenshot"

The purpose of the default action is to remove the need for the admin to define the action for each profile feature.  You set --Default-- and make the changes only to the defined --Default--- Action profile.   You can then either specify to use the default or override with a specific action profile.

If you specify to use the --Default-- Action profile but then set the Default to None, then no action will be taken on detection (i.e. don't do this :) ) .

2- What is the recommended version and is there any path to upgrade from 5.3.3 to the recommended version ?

Recommended version is either 6.0.2 or 5.4.7 depending on your hardware version.  Note that 6.0.3 is due out in under 2 weeks if you want to wait for the latest PR of 6.0.

Upgrade path can be found from the release notes e.g. from the 6.0.2 release notes:

⭣

5.3.10 (Build 643)

⭣

5.4.4 (Build 714) (Required for VMware install only)

⭣

6.0.2 (Build 0108)

Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Carl_Windsor_FTNT

1- What does it means the default action in the antivirus profile ? what if I select "none" ? "see screenshot"

The purpose of the default action is to remove the need for the admin to define the action for each profile feature.  You set --Default-- and make the changes only to the defined --Default--- Action profile.   You can then either specify to use the default or override with a specific action profile.

If you specify to use the --Default-- Action profile but then set the Default to None, then no action will be taken on detection (i.e. don't do this :) ) .

Recommended version is either 6.0.2 or 5.4.7 depending on your hardware version.  Note that 6.0.3 is due out in under 2 weeks if you want to wait for the latest PR of 6.0.

Upgrade path can be found from the release notes e.g. from the 6.0.2 release notes:

⭣

5.3.10 (Build 643)

⭣

5.4.4 (Build 714) (Required for VMware install only)

⭣

6.0.2 (Build 0108)

Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

R_F
Contributor

sorry to hijack this post. I am still confused with FML Default Actions.

and you quoted "default action is to remove the need for the admin to define the action for each profile feature"

so the Default Action has its own criteria? does it allow/permits  or block/restrict once I apply the Default Action to any profiles ?

looking forward for your reply. thank you

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors