Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
shalomshachne
New Contributor

Unable to uninstall FortiClient app (Windows 7) (no uninstall option)

I installed Forticlient app to use with one of our customers' VPN.  The customer no longer uses the VPN, and I want to uninstall the Forticlient software.  Client version=6.0.2.0128.

I tried using Windows Control Panel, however clicking on the FortiClient app only gives a "Repair" option, and no "Uninstall".   I also checked the \Program Files\FortiClient folder to see if there was an uninstall app, but there is not.

Attached a screen shot of what I see in Windows Control Panel.

How can I uninstall the FortiClient software?

1 Solution
SteveG

Have you downloaded FortiClientTools? Unzip and there's a folder called 'SupportUtils' and in there you'll find an exe called FCRemove which is what you need. (see attachment)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SteveG
Contributor III

There is an uninstaller that's available in the FortiClientTools package. Download from the support portal.

shalomshachne

Hi - Thanks for the response.  I can't seem to find where in Support Portal to search for Uninstaller.  Could you possibly give me the link to the download page? 

Thanks again.

SteveG

Have you downloaded FortiClientTools? Unzip and there's a folder called 'SupportUtils' and in there you'll find an exe called FCRemove which is what you need. (see attachment)

simonw
New Contributor

Hi,

You have to

1. Disconnect it from EMS (if it is connected to EMS)

2. Then right click on the FortiClient icon in taskbar and choose "Shutdown FortiClient"

3. Try to uninstall (may have to refresh the page) and you need to have "Admin right"

There might be some other ways but this is what i do at work.

/simonw

shalomshachne

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.  Maybe I am missing something but I don't see any link to the Support Portal for downloads.  I have searched the site several times and don't see anywhere to download.  Could you please post the full url to the download area where these files are located.

Is it possible that, because I downloaded the free Fortinet Client, I don't have access to download the FortiClientTools?

shalomshachne

I didn't realize that you could not Uninstall FortiClient when it was registered to a Fortigate.  Coincidentally, my router is a Fortinet router (which had nothing to do with why I downloaded the client).  To uninstall I had to do the following steps:

1.  Disconnect it from the Fortigate connection.

2.  Right click on FortiClient icon is systray and select "Shut down client"

3.  Close and reopen the Windows Control Panel "Uninstall or change a program" screen (before I disconnected the FortiClient from the Fortigate, it only showed a "Repair" option).

4.  After reopening Windows Control Panel the "Uninstall" option was visible for FortiClient.

5.  Uninstalled using normal Windows Uninstaller and then restarted machine.

So the mystery is cleared up.  This post: https://forum.fortinet.com/FindPost/112799  gave the critical clue that the FortiClient settings are locked while is registered to a FortiGate.

Thanks Steve and Simon for your suggestions.

SteveG

You need a valid support contract for a Fortinet product to access the support portal. Perhaps drop your local FN rep an email and they should be able to help.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors