Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
patrickwilson82
New Contributor

Firmware update

Hello All,

I am currently on version 5.4 for both my Fortigate and Fortimail. I assume it's recommended that I update to 6.0? If so, do I need to go to 5.6 first? Or can I go straight to 6.0? Or should I even bother at all? Thanks in advance for the input.

1 Solution
sw2090

I would only upgrade if I needed some feature that came with 6.0.

I still have all our FGT on 5.4.8 (and I think of upgrading to 5.4.10 maybe if I ever find the time to).

But I will not go to 6.x unless there is a need for me to do so.

Only our FortiManager is on 6.0 due to some bug that is in 5.4 but not in 5.6 or above. 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
4 REPLIES 4
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Look in the release notes of the version you wish to upgrade to. It should have the upgrade path recommended so you don't lose your configuration or brick your devices.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
sw2090
Honored Contributor

You could look the recommended upgrade path up in the support portal.

You need the model and the complete version of the firmware. 5.4.x in your case.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
patrickwilson82

Thanks for the replies. Is there any reason why I necessarily should or shouldn't upgrade? I've been looking at the release notes and didn't see anything that jumped out at me as a must have on new features.

sw2090

I would only upgrade if I needed some feature that came with 6.0.

I still have all our FGT on 5.4.8 (and I think of upgrading to 5.4.10 maybe if I ever find the time to).

But I will not go to 6.x unless there is a need for me to do so.

Only our FortiManager is on 6.0 due to some bug that is in 5.4 but not in 5.6 or above. 

-- 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors