Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sohaib
New Contributor

Fortigate 100D Factory Reset

Hello,

I just did a factory reset of my fortigate-100d, as I move to a new location, therefore, I don't wanted to keep my old information everything was working fine, Until I factory reset using CLI, At first I tried doing the quick start guide connecting via the 192.168.1.99 and then setting my PC Network Ip to 192.168.1.2, so I can use the GUI, It wasn't responding, So I use the my console cable which came with Fortigate-100D and now I am unable to connect to my fortigate 100-d, It's not connecting to my COM2 Port fine but it's just blinking I understand I've to hit enter to see the prompts but all I am seeing is as per this attached screen shot.

My Baud Rate, Data Bits, Parity is all as per the guide, All I see is blinking cursor and no prompt after hitting enter, Is there anything I can do to reset this again.. I am just lost.

7 REPLIES 7
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

You could consider using FortiExplorer to connect to the FortiGate.
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Of course you should try everything you can try in case like that. But when console doesn't show anything (assuming it's not PC side issues), likely FortiExplorer wouldn't connect. Do you see anything on the COM screen when you just power-cycle it from there? Check Status POWER/ALARM/STATUS LEDs when you power-cycled it if anything unusual.

You might need to RMA it if still nothing shows up.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

I had one FortiGate (don't remember model) which did not come back from a factory reset in somewhat similar manner.  I did a second factory reset using the reset button after disconnecting it from power for a minute and it came back up okay.  Just a possibility to try before RMA. 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

I don't think the usual cisco console cables will work alas I didn't ever try one.

What does work are e.g. RJ45 Console Cables of HP Switches (and vice versa).

Also USB2Serial Adaptors in windows may not work correctly if thex contain a prolific (pl2303 or similar) uart chip due to the prolific's hardware abuse policy. This is not a bug but indeed wanted behaviour. In this case they are recognized by windws and driver is loaded but thus will not work. 

The only workaround is to try older driver versions that do not yet have this policy.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Alexis_G
Contributor II

Your are using a physical COM interface on your PC ?

are you sure your its COM2 ?

you can try also with Cisco cable, maybe the cable has issues

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

If a factory reset was performed, I believe you need to be connecting to the fgt on the MGMT port to access 192.168.1.99.

If you are using a USB-to-Serial console cable, check to make sure the serial connection is on COM2.  After this, reboot the fgt and see if there is a response - if there is an issue during start up, at least the fgt should be putting out something on the console before it locks.  May also want to try the USB MGMT connection, though never used it myself I am going to assume you need FortiExplorer.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
sw2090
Honored Contributor

oh once you can connect to cli you can use

config system interface ? 

to see where 192.168.1.99 is on...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors