Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Adonist
New Contributor

HA issues

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to configure a master/slave HA with my Fortigate and so far that was fine. The replication works etc. The only issue is: when I connect them both to the switch (all same ports configured etc) and take down the first fortigate, I can still access the second one using the IP of the first one. However I can't access the switch (that is on a management VLAN).

It seems the switch keeps the MAC address associated with the first one, so it can't even ping the second one using the IP of the first one.

Do I need to manually create a floating IP or floating MAC Address for that? If so, will I need to create it for every vlan in the firewall?

I'm using a Fortigate 200E and FortiOS 6.0 if it makes any difference.

3 REPLIES 3
Sudarsan_Babu
Contributor

Hi,

Can you check mac address conflict. 

# di hardware deviceinfo nic XXXXX(interface port no)

you can also  see in this virtual mac address (current mac address). 

Regards,

Sudarsan Babu P

Regards, Sudarsan Babu P
Adonist

Hi Sudarsan,

Thank you for your reply. I run the commands and it seems it's using a virtual MAC Address already and they are both the same. There's something else wrong then. I've completely disconnected the master fortigate and left one the second one. All worked good. When I connected the master again and it took over, I lost access to the switch again. It seems that for some reason whenever it changes between the master and slave, it loses access to the switch (VLAN). I havent tested other vlans yet. I'm trying to understand if it's a Fortigate issue or switch issue.

I'm currently using a HPE OfficeConnect 1920 series to test.

Ashik_Sheik

Hi 

Both the devices use Virtual mac address so switch should communicate .

Ashu 

Ashu
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors