Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
calamar
New Contributor

DHCP Server FWF-60d

Hi,

When I activate dhcp server on internal network "software switch" the bandwith reduces 40%.

¿Is it normally?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Ashik_Sheik
Contributor II

You mean internet bandwidth .I don't think so .May be some other issues affected your bandwidth may be.

Regds

Ashik

Ashu 

Ashu
calamar

Thanks for reply, you can believe it. I have enabled dhcp server and I do a test on website www.speedtest.com or another place the result is 175mb / 170mb more or less then I turn off dchp server a test and result is 300mb / 290mb. thanks
Ashik_Sheik

Hi,

Just check the dns .Is it same in the DHCP and without DHCP server .

Regds,

Ashik

Ashu 

Ashu
tanr
Valued Contributor II

The software switch is a performance hog, but that seems over the top for it.

I believe the 60D can do a hardware switch interface.  Is there a reason you're using that instead of the software switch?

ede_pfau

DHCP works via broadcasts. I wouldn't be too surprised if that would drain the CPU if used across a software switch.

Software switch: just don't use it.

I know, you can bridge a WiFi subnet with the LAN, resulting in a common address space. Looks nice, but it isn't really necessary. Routed WiFi works as well. And maybe you can drop the software switch then.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ashik_Sheik

As suggested by others , i am suggesting same , if there is no specific requirement to use software switch which consume more CPU .For sure the hardware switch feature is what you want for your needs, because it will not consume cpu power for switching .

Regds,

Ashik

Ashu 

Ashu
calamar
New Contributor

The question are which is the difference between dhcp server started or not ? Why it reduces bandwidth? If I change mode to interface mode How can I bind Wi-Fi with the lan. thanks
Ashik_Sheik

Hi,

You can achieve this through configuring FortiAP in bridge mode .. follow below link .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWjeMFPyGR8 

Regds,

Ashik

Ashu 

Ashu
calamar

Any one have a fwf-60d?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors