Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nruk
New Contributor

Four Way Handshake Timeout

Hi All, Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or could advise? There are lots of User 802.1x Authentication Failure's in our event log with the Four Way Handshake Timeout error - Is there any recommendations to try and resolve this? Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Comtool_GmbH
New Contributor

hello nruk

we're experiencing the same issue at one of our clients infrastructure. we have an mc3200 with about 70  

AP822i. the authentication failure issue occurs with different devices (iphones, samsung galaxy, etc.) and different networks. did you manage to find a solution for this? any help is appreciated...   best regards,   Hannes   Event: Access Request rejected for Calling Station ID: <MACADDRESS>, Authentication Type: <802.1X>, Reason: <Four Way Handshake Timeout>
bmorris
New Contributor III

Hi Guys,

Maybe try running a packet capture on your RADIUS server. Are the request packets coming in? Any logs for rejections on the server?

Ben

mortenrandrup
New Contributor

Hello

I am responsible for our network at Herlev Privatskole - a private primary school in Denmark.

We also have a MC3200 controller and AP832i, and we are struggeling with exately the same issue - a major problem with "Four way handshake timeout". The problem is destructing the lessons - but it only appears periodical. 

I desperately need a solution on this issue, and by the way, we neither have a radius server or a server - our dhcp is controlled by our firewall.

Can somebody please help solouting this major problem?

Morten

ICTDESK_AVO
New Contributor

We have the same errors in the event logs. When this happens on the BYOD network with user authentication, 802.1x on the Radius server i can expect this issues. BUT: we also see this error on our WPA2-PSK SSID which is strange. This is on a school; there aren't any big complaints about connecting, but users may turn wifi off-on to try again. 

It is not one device, so troubleshooting is hard, it seems random. 

The WLAN profile is being added by a MDM system to the IPADs.

Log entries.. Every few seconds this happens, 2000 active devices 180 AP's. 

User 802.1x Authentication FailureMajorAccess pointSD-ST-144-OTablet-18:65:90:86:e8:4e04/15/2019 13:37:29Access Request rejected for Calling Station ID: <18:65:90:86:e8:4e>, Authentication Type: <802.1X>, Reason: <Four Way Handshake Timeout>   User 802.1x Authentication FailureMajorAccess pointSD-ST-139-OTablet-40:83:1d:51:ef:6504/15/2019 13:36:53Access Request rejected for Calling Station ID: <40:83:1d:51:ef:65>, Authentication Type: <802.1X>, Reason: <Four Way Handshake Timeout>   User 802.1x Authentication FailureMajorAccess pointSD-ST-109-OTablet-bc:e1:43:6d:19:7e04/15/2019 13:36:48Access Request rejected for Calling Station ID: <bc:e1:43:6d:19:7e>, Authentication Type: <802.1X>, Reason: <Four Way Handshake Timeout>
rgodbey

We are having this issue as well.  Has anyone found a fix?  It's very frustrating.

m_bux
New Contributor

Hello @ all!

We are having the same issue as well, several dozen times every day.

>>>>

Access Request rejected for Calling Station ID: <xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx>, Authentication Type: <WPA2 PSK>, Reason: <Four Way Handshake Timeout>

<<<<

Is this a known issue, is there a fix for it, or is there something we misconfigured in the controller settings?

I really would appreciate an answer :)

Callums96
New Contributor

We recently had this issue at a school. All BYOD devices were unable to connect to the SSID. 

On the Wireless controller it mentioned the 4 way handshake. We had to reboot all the AP's this fixed the issue. Not sure about others. I'd also try rebooting the W/C.

forti-chef
New Contributor

Any news on this issue? We have the same problem recurring every day:

<AID=xxx> Sending Station Disconnect, Reason : 4-way Handshake Timeout, Auth Type WPA2 PSK

This is really a MAJOR issue, this Bug is now exists for 3 (!) years...

eto
New Contributor

Help. Has there been any feedback on this issue. I am getting many of these to the Event Log daily 

Access Request rejected for Calling Station ID: <.............>, Authentication Type: <802.1X>, Reason: <Four Way Handshake Timeout>

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors