AnsweredHot!Slow VPN speed

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
atsak
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Slow VPN speed 2019/03/09 11:54:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FFEJ 2019/04/30 14:48:39
5 (1)
All - this isn't an issue of CIFS or NFS being slow over VPN because of the inherent nature of those protocols.  This is a bug in the Fortinet software, and I'm surprised it's not a bigger deal to more people.  It happens on  IPSEC tunnels as well.

I've spent a week working on this on devices using various 5.6 versions.
I've adjusted every MTU and TCP MSS setting.
I've adjusted NAT traversal to forced.

The 355kb/sec transfer is the clue - how is it possible multiple people are getting the exact same performance from different servers and different circuits and different hardware?   Because it's an inherant firmware bug.

Someone from Fortinet needs to send out a bulletin to explain this in detail and note the correct firmware version that fixes it for everyone.     Honestly can't believe this has gone on for so long.  I have a ticket open but they haven't yet replied.   Frankly not a good reflection on Fortinet.
FFEJ
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
Re: Slow VPN speed 2019/04/30 15:10:07 (permalink)
Duncan did you find a solution for this?  I have the same problem and also mysteriously benchmarked 20Mbps once. currently on V6.0.4 and have tried everything I can think of. Also had our ISP working with me to try and resolve the problem but we have been unsuccessful.  
Duncan
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Slow VPN speed 2019/04/30 15:29:53 (permalink)
Completely agree @atsak.
Unfortunately, I had this disagreement with the Fortinet tech. However, we do have an issue with our Internet connection. We are sorting out that before pursuing with Fortinet. I know there is a problem with our Fortigate for two reasons:
a) The problem is intermittent. Sometimes the performance is great. By this I mean, we get arround 12Mbps from our 30Mbps connection. During this time, everything feels snappy. Then, at seemly random times, we only get around 1-4Mbps and applications feel horribly slow. Bear in mind, I am benchmarking this with a speed test app with it's custom protocol ("LAN Speed Test") - not SMB or anything as chatty. For every benchmark, I make sure our Internet connection has minimal use using our network monitoring tool (PRTG).
b) As part of the ticket, we benchmarked betweek two local ports, bypassing our ISP. The 200E is marketted with 900Mbps of SSL VPN throughput. I could get around that through the firewall but only about 30% of that through the SSL VPN. I think this is false advertising. I guess if I was using multiple streams and/or ports it could perform better. But I feel that should be advertised.
Duncan
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Slow VPN speed 2019/04/30 21:46:53 (permalink)
FFEJ
Duncan did you find a solution for this?  I have the same problem and also mysteriously benchmarked 20Mbps once. currently on V6.0.4 and have tried everything I can think of. Also had our ISP working with me to try and resolve the problem but we have been unsuccessful. 

Nah, sorry mate. Fortinet closed the ticket once it was escalated to dev who didn't believe there was a problem!
We are upgrading to 100Mbps fibre in the next few months so I will be pursuing it then. We are running v6.0.4 too.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5