Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sjWelter
New Contributor

DHCP Server Issues when configured from Fortimanager

Hello,

I am trying to configure a network interface on my lab fortigate from the FortiManager console.

[ul]
  • I start out with a factory install FortiOS on the ForitGate.
  • I check the box next to my Fortigate device in Device Manager, go to More \ Configuration, go to System \ Interface
  • I check the box next to port3 (a port with no settings on it) and click Edit
  • I complete the IP Addressing values for a manual IP address, netmask, etc
  • I complete the DHCP Server section by enabling it and giving start and end IP addresses
  • I click OK where I receive pop-up messages stating the port was edited successfully
  • I return to the device in Device Manager, click the checkbox, and select Install \ Install Config
  • Install completes successfully[/ul]

The result, is the port is configured with the IP address settings I specified, however the DHCP server is still disabled with no values. I have tried to go back in and re-submit the DHCP Server settings, and they continue to disappear after the Install Config step. I have tried this on a couple of devices using 5.4.3 and 5.6.4. Is there an obvious step I am missing or is this simply not a supported way to configure a DHCP server?

thanks!

• 9 REPLIES 9
    chall_FTNT
    Staff
    Staff

What is the FMG firmware version?  ADOM version?  And what does the install log show when you first pushed the interface setting change?

Chris Hall
    Fortinet Technical Support
    chall_FTNT

If FMG didn't even attempt to install the DHCP server settings then it would help to see the syntax as displayed in the FMG CLI:

exec fmpolicy print-device-object <ADOM> <device name> <VDOM> "system interface" <interface>

e.g.,

exec fmpolicy print-device-object root Test-FGT root "system interface" internal

Chris Hall
    sw2090
    Honored Contributor

keep in mind that on gui dhcp server settings are part of the interface setup but on cli they are on their own!

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
    sjWelter
    New Contributor

Current FMG Firmware is 6.0.2-build0205. Pretty sure I tested this on the previous build (5.4.1-build 1082)as well, but not certain. I have tried this on devices in ADOM version 5.4, 5.6, and 6.0. It looks like there are no DHCP server values getting passed on the config step. ## First Run Log Starting log (Run on device) Start installing FGVM-602 $  config system interface FGVM-602 (interface) $  edit "port2" FGVM-602 (port2) $  set ip 10.50.50.1 255.255.255.0 FGVM-602 (port2) $  set allowaccess https ping ssh snmp http FGVM-602 (port2) $  set role lan FGVM-602 (port2) $  next FGVM-602 (interface) $  end ---> generating verification report (global: system interface "port2":device-identification)     remote original: enable     to be installed: <--- done generating verification report ------- Start to retry -------- FGVM-602 $  config system interface FGVM-602 (interface) $  edit "port2" FGVM-602 (port2) $  unset device-identification FGVM-602 (port2) $  next FGVM-602 (interface) $  end ---> generating verification report <--- done generating verification report install finished ## Output from FMG CLI Command exec fmpolicy print-device-object TEST-60 FGVM-602 root "system interf ace" port2 Dump object [port2] of category [system interface] in device [FGVM-602] vdom[root]: --------------- config system interface edit "port2" set vdom "root" set ip 10.50.50.1 255.255.255.0 set allowaccess https ping ssh snmp http set type physical set role lan set snmp-index 2 next end

Happy to test further. Thank you for assisting here.

chall_FTNT

Thanks, sw2090, for pointing out that in the CLI, the DHCP settings are stored separately from interface settings. So sjWelter, good too look at CLI output for DHCP settings also: exec fmpolicy print-device-object TEST-60 FGVM-602 root  "system dhcp server" all note: one of those dhcp servers should reference port2   Also, would be good to see what FGT CLI has for dhcp server as well.  And I'm curious whether a Retrieve followed by an Install causes FMG to push the change.

Chris Hall
    sjWelter

# FMG Command RMC-FMG # exec fmpolicy print-device-object TEST-60 FGVM-602 root "system dhcp server" all Dump all objects for category [system dhcp server] in device [FGVM-602] vdom[root]: --------------- # Fortigate CLI FGVM-564 (server) # show config system dhcp server end

No DHCP servers are in either config. I went back to the Device manager, and edited the port to add a DHCP Server (see image-01) hit ok, received a success note. Then I immediately went back into the port and the DHCP Server settings were gone again. So its not sticking long enough to even push it seems.

chall_FTNT

Are you using system templates?  If so, the DHCP widget would overwrite what is in device DB.

Chris Hall
    sjWelter
    New Contributor

No, its a brand new ADOM with no settings customized under Device Manager \ Provisioning Templates. I dont see anything there that touches DHCP. Am I looking in the right spot?

brazz_FTNT

Hello sjWelter, 

Yes that is the right place to look. 

[ul]
  • Can you verify the FGT version too . Just would like to make sure we do not skip  this simple step.[/ul]

Let's check the compatibility chart  https://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/2902/fortimanager-compatibility.pdf

[ul]
  • Also It does not hurt to check the assigned FGTs under the provision template , if your device is there remove it for a test. Apply your desired change on FMG  then push it to the FGT. Also do not forget to check the installation preview before pushing it to your FGT. [/ul]

Let us know about the results. 

Cheers

• Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors