Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

FortiExtender-40D-NAM - Just Getting Started

We need to provide a secondary ISP connection to a location with a FortiWiFi for redundancy. I have a few questions if someone can share some insight. 1. How does the FortiExtender-40D-NAM connect to the FortiGate, US. or Ethernet? 2. Is the wireless service/SIM card provioby Fortinet or by the customer? 3. Is this the best / most cost effective solution available? If not, what else is worth considering?
1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

We deploy only FEX-20D so I might not be correct 100%. But I believe mostly correct.

1. it's an ethernet connection w/ PoE and establishes CAPWAP tunnel to the controller (your FWF) over it.

2. I never heard FTNT ever provided SIMs. 

3. I wouldn't say most effective (FEX40D is quite expensive when considering what it does). Some other options like Cradlepoint if you're in the US (I use it at home for the backup path hooked up to FG50E) would be more effective. They have dual-SIM/vendor option too like FEX40D.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

We deploy only FEX-20D so I might not be correct 100%. But I believe mostly correct.

1. it's an ethernet connection w/ PoE and establishes CAPWAP tunnel to the controller (your FWF) over it.

2. I never heard FTNT ever provided SIMs. 

3. I wouldn't say most effective (FEX40D is quite expensive when considering what it does). Some other options like Cradlepoint if you're in the US (I use it at home for the backup path hooked up to FG50E) would be more effective. They have dual-SIM/vendor option too like FEX40D.

SecurityPlus

Thanks
kposney
New Contributor

1 Ethernet

2 Customer

3 Best solution

Managed by firewall so no need for yet another management portal subscription.

POE powered by the firewall so you can reboot it when hung without calling the customer, unlike other solutions.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors