Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Lamster
New Contributor

Disable ARP on Virtual IP

I'm in the process of moving a customer from Cisco ASA to FortiGate and have run into a small issue with Virtual IP's. 

The FG is setup parallell to the ASA on inside and wan interfaces for reachability/management, all other interfaces are disabled. The plan is to configure as much as possible on the FG before migrating.

Now to the issue.

When I configure the Virtual IP's which are used in ASA for various servers today, the FG starts responding to ARP creating a conflict on the external interface since both ASA and FG responds to the same IP. In ASA it's possible to disable a NAT policy and that way prepare policies without impacting production, but I can't find any way to disable VIP's. 

Any ideas?

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Based on my experience, VIPs on FGT are sticky and act even without references. You probably need to shut down the incoming interface (wan) until the cut-over date.

On the other hand, they're relatively independent from other part of configuration except the policies that use them (if policy-based NAT). So you could leave the changes for the cut-over script.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Based on my experience, VIPs on FGT are sticky and act even without references. You probably need to shut down the incoming interface (wan) until the cut-over date.

On the other hand, they're relatively independent from other part of configuration except the policies that use them (if policy-based NAT). So you could leave the changes for the cut-over script.

Lamster

Okay, that's what I was suspecting. I guess I'll have to shut down the wan interface for now.

Thanks.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I  had this same issue. Since you can't disable the VIP here what we did;

1: build a bogus vip and a define a vip-group

2: apply that in your config using the vip-group ( this allows you to stage all of the  item in the firewall policy )

3: when it comes time to place active, add the correct vip in the cfg and apply to the vip-group  and test 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
hklb
Contributor II

config firewall vip

edit YourVIP

set arp-reply disable

end

Lamster
New Contributor

I was kinda hoping the set arp-reply enable/disable command would be available as a checkbox in the GUI. 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors