Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Moises_Domingues
New Contributor

Hardware CPU SOA 90D x 60E

Hi

I have a question and would like an opinion.

I have 50 computers and 40 smartphones active in my network, but not simultaneously.

They offered two options:

FG90D or FG60E

Would you like to know which one is most recommended for my environment?

I have the information that the 80D has much more processing than 90D

Tks

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

As the E series is well introduced by now, with models in all categories, I would not consider a D series model to buy anymore. The UTM performance can be several times higher, while the price for support contracts is (or will be soon) lower than for 'outdated' models.

The metrics for right sizing a FGT include # of hosts but also

- bandwidth to the internet

- # of (concurrent) SSLVPN users

- degree to which you want to apply UTM (AV, IPS, Appcontrol, Webfilter etc.)

In the datasheet you'll find (quite accurate) figures for 'NGFW', 'enterprise mix' and 'SSL inspection' throughput. These figures, compared to the available bandwidth, should give you an idea which model to choose.

I'd say for up to 200-400 Mbps WAN bw and 20-30 concurrent users you should go for a 60E. Next interesting model would be a 100E which offers nearly the same throughput but double the RAM (so more sessions, new sessions per second).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

To comare those numbers side-by-side, this latest matrix brochure comes in handy.

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/Fortinet_Product_Matrix.pdf

Moises_Domingues
New Contributor

Thanks for the info, So the FG60E can not support 60/70 active connections on the network? Resellers are telling me that the 60E would serve up to 80 simultaneous connections! Because 100E is practically double the value, there I will not have budget for the implantation. But thanks for the help!

Allan_Lago

Hello Moises,

The fortigate 60E handles up to 1.3 Million Concurrent Sessions. But if you are talking about active users the amount supported will vary according to your network traffic.

What i mean is:

The Fortigate 60E can be an excelent UTM for 100 basic users and a really bad choice for 40 hard core users. In fact it depends, and it depends a lot of your type of traffic per users.

You should be able to answer the following question before choose your Model:

What kind of traffic do you have in your network in General?

How many users normal users?

How many power users?

How may IPsec and SSL VPNs Tunnel are you planning to use?

Are you planning to use Deep SSL Inspection?

Will you have NAT to DMZ servers secured by IPSec Policies?

If you do, how offten this policies will be used?

Will you use Application Control and Antivírus Control?

Where do you plan to store your Fortigate Logs(On memory, Forticlioud, Syslog Server, FortiAnalyzer)?

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Allan Lago

Security Analist

allan.lago@itsense.com.br

+55 21 96436-1884

+55 54 99100-0949

https://itsense.com.br

Allan Lago Security Analist allan.lago@itsense.com.br +55 21 96436-1884 +55 54 99100-0949 https://itsense.com.br
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors