Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sw2090
Honored Contributor

[solved] LTE/WAN Failover and WLLB

Hi there,

We have the following situation. 

We have a FGT100E with v5.4.x running.

It is connected to three WANs using WLLB which works fine.

Now I want to attach a 3g/4g/LTE Modem via USB and use it as fallback when all WANS in WLLB are down (i.e. all vDSLs fail => mobile Internet).

I got one Huawei Stick that is supported by FortiOS 5.4 and plugged it in. Enabled (lte-)modem on cli and set i up. I now have n interface usb-wan which is up and has an Ip and default route.

Now the easiest way would be to have two default routes and wan policies (one for wllb and one for 3g/4g) plus dial on demand on the usb-wan.

However whenever I try to set up a second default route (I already have one for WLLB) for the LTE it doe not accept the default gate that is listed in the usb-wan interface view as a valid gateway. If I just set it up like the other one but woth higher distance/prio all I get is some Error code. However I did not try that on cli.

Also atm my FGT does not put any traffic through usb-wan. 

I prior tested the usb lte on my pc with success.

Who has any tips for me?

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
2 REPLIES 2
sw2090
Honored Contributor

ok one update:

I reconfigured the modem:

config sys lte-modem => set status disabled

config sys modem => set status enabled

then set the required params in there

I now no longer have a usb-wan interface but a modem interface which is connected. And currently (without wllb) I do have internet via 4G on my laptop connected to that FGT.

So far it works now.

Now still have to figure out failover stuff...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

And annother update :)

I think I got it to work now:

modem is setup as in my last post. I just reset it to do dial on demand now for I don't need it to be connected all day long. On Cli set prio and distance for routes on modem interface to 20 (something higher then my default route via wllb has). And this did the trick.

As long as WLLB works I get routed out via WLLB. If WLLB goes down Modem fires up its connection to 4g and default route gets switched to modem (due to prio/distance). 

Once WLLB comes back again default route is switched back to WLLB and I get routed out via WLLB as usuall.

Just have to check if the idle timeout on modem will work and disconnect it again ;)

All this required additionally was a second internet policy for the modem interface :)

So no more Assistance or Help needed here in this case. Hopefully this will be helpful for others so I leave it here :)

-- 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors