Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
big_solid93
New Contributor

Connecting Fortigate to home network

Hello all,

I am using a virtual Fortigate and I was wondering if it was possible to set it up to be my main source to the internet. I have a cable modem currently connected to a physical router supplied by my ISP. But here's my dilemma. Is there a way to trick the foritgate to using all main functions and just merely use my regular router as a means to connect to the internet? I thought of using my laptop as the medium to connect to the modem and use the wifi as the source to get a connection between the fortigate to the modem(don't even know if this is possible). But I don't want my laptop to be stuck sitting with my modem.

Any help is greatly appreciated to accomplishing this task. My worry is that because the fortigate is virtual, I will not be able to accomplish this.

1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

well virtualization is a cool thing (I have a virtual fortimanager here) but sometimes it needs to get back physical though. 

You would need to have a physical connection between your host (where you virtual fgt is on) and your router.

You would also need to have a physical connection between your host and your home network.

Both connections need to be mapped into the virtual Fortigate. 

Then you could use the one to the router as wan and the other for home network on e.g. internal.

Then all clients need to use your virtual FGT as default gw and you will need policies of course.

Thus your router here will still be one hop in your routing way so if you needed portforwarding you would need to do that on both router and fgt... 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors