Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mkassner
New Contributor

FortiAuthenticator

Hi  

This is my first time installing a FortiAuthentictor and i want our FAC use 2 factor auth. with our SMS gateway via SMTPS.

I'm able to use SMTP server without StartTLS - but when i use STARTTLS i get an error message: "Unable to send a test email: internal error. Please check your server configuration." Do you guys have some any idea why i get this error?

6 REPLIES 6
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

how about missing CA cert on FAC ?

EDIT: looks like FAC not sending emails when STARTTLS is used is known issue  .. which should be fixed in 5.4.0 and newer versions.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

tanr
Valued Contributor II

@xsilver, could you elaborate on that?  Are you talking about having the SMTP servers public cert as a trusted CA?  Or the FAC's own local CA to be used for this?  Neither of those make sense to me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I've got the same error with - EDIT - version 5.3.1 - EDIT - where I just want to send emails with STARTTLS.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

- Corrected version to 5.3.1.

xsilver_FTNT

looks like bug fixed since 5.4.0 FAC

nokje
New Contributor

To assist you in troubleshooting you should atleast try the following:

[ol]
  • connectivity FAC <-> mailserver (ping)
  • SMTP connectivity (FAC -> mailserver port 25)
  • Dubbel check the e-mail credentials
  • Does your mail server receive traffic from FAC when test e-mail is send (wireshark/tcpdump)
  • If connectivity seems OK, check debug log on the mailserver for application level troubleshooting or test SMTP with a nother mailclient to validate issue.[/ol]
  • xsilver_FTNT

@nokje .. good attempt, but sort of 2 months behind the schedule, sorry pal.

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors