Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
esteve
New Contributor

SSL Inspection to selected websites

Hello;

I want to accomplish what I think it makes a lot of sense for me but for some reason I didn't find a way to do it: I want to use SSL inspection ONLY for gmail, to avoid any worker uses any consumer email or a mail from any other GSuite domain. I don't want the firewall to process any other website with SSL, only gmail. I don't want to use the Application Control module, I need to minimize the resources to what it is needed, we have a Fortigate 100E and enabling the SSL deep inspection raises the CPU usage up to 40-50% because we have more than 100 people here.

Is there a way to do it? through GUI or CLI, I don't care, but I need that SSL inspection rule behaves like "any site but selected sites" instead of "all sites but exempted sites", since it's something I want to apply particularily to a selected number of sites, not removing it from them.

Thank you :)

7 REPLIES 7
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Typically it's the otherway you  make exception per-site for what you do not want to inspect. Have you  tried a wildcard FQDN in a policy rule and than enable ssl inspection for that one rule?

*.gmail.com    HTTPS    SSL_INSPT_PROFILE

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
esteve
New Contributor

Hi Ken;

I already tried but for some reason, fortigate does not allow wildcard FQDN's to be applied to Policy rules. I even tried to cheat it by making a group with some unrelated addresses and the group was appearing in the destination list to select from, but once I add any wildcard FQDN address that group dissapears from the selection list. To my understand, this is a nonsensical limitation but I don't mind as long as it can be accomplished through other way than installing Application Control module.

Thanks for your help :)

Toshi_Esumi

A wildcard FQDN can't be used as an src/dst address object at a policy with FGT, because it can't be translated to address(es) via DNS. If you are running 5.6.x or above, you have an option to choose an Internet Service "Google-Gmail" in GUI (in CLI, set internet-service enable/set internet-service-id 65646). The GUI shows me it includes "Total IP Ranges: 352, Total IPs: 119110". I'm not sure what exactly IP Ranges mean though.

esteve

Great, that seems to be a solution, but I need to know two things: does it really work with gmail only? and, having that amount of IP's will overload the firewall? I'm very concerned about the performance, since for some reason Fortinet put a joke CPU inside the +1000$ 100E firewall. For that price it would have to have at least an 8 core Atom paired with 8GB of RAM...

Thanks for your help.

Toshi_Esumi

I haven't tried it myself. But whoever offers a solution, I wouldn't trust anything until I test it myself or one of my coworkers. You should test it yourself and if it doesn't work, open a case with TAC. It's an advertised new feature with 5.6 from FTNT. If it doesn't work, they need to fix it.

esteve
New Contributor

Thank you Toshi :)

I can't update the FG right now since it is critical, I need to schedule a plan for doing it. Luckyly we bought a 100D without any license as a backup appliance in case the new 100E fails. Surprisingly, the 100D CPU is way better because I have exactly the same configuration and with the 100E the SSL deep inspection takes like 40-50% of the CPU but for the 100D only 25-30%. I'm starting to comprehend the nonsensical way of doing from Fortinet jaja, I started using these appliances only almost 2 years ago. I just hope the 100F is really something with a powerful x86 CPU and at least 8GB of RAM. Otherwise I'm planning to move to PFSense :(

Again, thank you very much :)

jmaurelli

Was having the same problem. I used your suggestion. Not as uniform as I would like, but it's working. I created a separate ACL for the URL, but set it as Accept in the ACL. I added the URL to the Web filter as a custom category and blocked it in the web filter profile. I applied the web filter profile to the ACL. I applied SSL Certificate inspection in the ACL, to ID the URL and block it after the user accepts the security warning. I suppose sometime in the future we will deploy the Proxy SSL cert to all workstations.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors